Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ws thinking about expanding.. getting more players in.

what else could I use for figures?

battletech stuff springs to mind.

anyone else have any idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hackel
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the comments for this image:
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/358726
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have these thrown in my RoboRally box...just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once used children's building blocks as alternative robots for checkerboard ricochet, but I'm guessing you have something a little different in mind.

This does give me two ideas though:
1. Build your own lego robots.
2. Buy Ricochet Robots because it's cheap, fun, and you'll have five extra robots to use for RoboRally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw these Wall-E minis in a gallery pic, haven't ordered them yet, but I'm thinking about it!

(click on the pic to get to the location they can be ordered from)

(edit: I see that while no replies were posted while I hunted for the BGG image, cerulean already beat me to it by the time I found it!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone mentioned to me something called "Micro Machines" IIRC. Little toy robots that look pretty cool and are the right size for RoboRally.

The problem with adding more players is the number of cards in the deck. In an 8-player game, you need 72 cards out of the 84, and if someone has Flywheel, that's one card out of the deck that isn't available. And if someone has Extra Memory, that's another card needed. And if someone wants to launch a Buzz Bomb, that takes up five more cards. That's a total of 79 cards potentially needed if those options are in the game. That's only 5 cards left. And we haven't yet considered Recompile.

With no extra-card using options, you could have a 9-player game - needing 81 cards. With 10 or more players, you simply do not have enough cards under any circumstances.

However! Don't let that stop you from having fun. There are potential solutions:
1) Add more cards to the deck (and be sure that the Priority numbers on the added cards are different from the "original" cards.
2) Have a house rule that you only get 8 cards for a full hand (this makes the game a bit harder).
2a) 8 cards for a full hand, and you don't lose a card until you take your second hit. This mitigates the difficulty a bit.
* Even with 8-card hands, you still only go up to 10 players with just the regular deck.
3) 7 cards per hand? Harder game, up to 12 players without extra-card options.
4) Deal out the cards evenly, and if you run out, you run out.
4a) Deal out the cards as evenly as possible, and let the deal rotate so that players "take turns" getting the extra cards.

IMO, #1 is the best solution, but the most effort to impliment. I made myself a simple and cheap deck using a magic marker on regular playing cards. With that method, as long as you have enough cards with the same back, you can make as big a deck as you like.

(edit: boy, that'll teach me to interrupt typing my reply to go to the bathroom!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LotB 2002
Netherlands
Utrecht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we play up to 14 - 16 players during the final of the roborally tournament. just use one deck of cards for each half of the table.

As robots we have 8 pieces of the 2nd edition WotC version, 8 extra pieces of the german AMIGO version, and the 8 pieces of the new AH edition. for 24 pieces in total ...

Jeroen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
JeVo wrote:
we play up to 14 - 16 players during the final of the roborally tournament. just use one deck of cards for each half of the table.

What do you do in the case of a priority conflict where both robots have the same priority number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
gurubob wrote:
what else could I use for figures?

I'm not sure if these are the correct scale, but Robot Wars: The Game came with 6 (heavy) metal bots from the series.

If you are interested I have a set of these going begging. They would probably paint up quite nicely too.

I suppose if they turn out to be too big for the squares in RR then you could add a "Killer Robot" variant with these guys hunting down your little bots! robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.