Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do experienced CoC players think the best way to set up this for inexperienced players with a base set & one copy of all the Asylum packs released thus far? I realise that each faction's deck is perhaps going to be too big, so I thought it might be easiest to take out two copies of each duplicate card from the packs & randomly chose 20 cards from two factions, plus 10 neutrals. Leaving us with 50 cards a deck...

Does this sound OK or would it be wildly unbalanced?

Cheers,

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think completely random card assortment would be far too random for a functional game. At the very least, you should really stick to a 3/5 character deck when you're just starting out. And furthermore, you should seriously watch the cost curve of your cards.

If it were me, I would try a few games with just the Core set first. Play the Agency/MU and Cthulhu/Shub decks and see what happens. Then start incorporating cards from the Asylum packs after you see how that works for you, and get a better feel for what you'd like to do.

That is, after all, what the expansion packs are there for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
...you should really stick to a 3/5 character deck when you're just starting out.

Sorry, but what does a "3/5 character deck" mean ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means 3/5 of the deck to be characters, so 50 card deck, 30 of those should be characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wooten
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe he means that 3 out of every 5 cards should be a character. This would allow for a greater frequency of "simple" confrontations, where the icon struggles are fairly straightforward, without a lot of events or modifications that will send new players to the rulebook.

It should make for a good introduction to the game mechanics.

I second Mr. Long's suggestion of fussing with the core set a few times to learn the basics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wooten
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh we were responding at the same time, how quaint!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Play a few games with the preconstructs that come with the game Matt. Once you have a few under your wing, you'll have no issue with deck construction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.