Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris had the board set-up when I arrived and the 1st thing I noticed was that there was no Aufidus River, just bare terrain. This was another game in our campaign and I was only up by a flag or 2 overall commanding Carthage. Looking at the board it looked like it would be another tight battle and not the overwhelming historical defeat for the Romans. Man, was I wrong!
Chris (the Romans) got 4 Command cards to my 6 and these were the best combo of cards I ever started with for any of these games. This didn't start out to be recorded for a session report so bear with me on the re-telling.
The Romans moved 1st and started with 2 units on their left flank. I played a LINE COMMAND card and advanced all my infantry as the Carthaginians had a solid line stretching from left to right flanks. After a Roman skirmish I played DOUBLE TIME and engaged my right flank against his unsupported units by being able to move so far and fast. My Warband on the right side moved 3 spaces then got 3 kills and a retreat on their enemy, finally advancing and finishing them off for my 1st flag.
Chris now attacked some of my unsupported units but wound up with terrible rolls and me getting lucky. He now had several units down to 1 block when I hit him with a MOUNTED CHARGE! Hanno chased down several single Roman units and eliminated them giving me a 3-0 lead in flags.
Another Roman attack by his infantry had me evading them with my light troops and suffering only minor casualties.
Now I hit him with another DOUBLE TIME but this time from my left flank. This cut off his light infantry from evading while my Heavies moved up and destroyed them. I was now leading 5-0 in flags. Chris finally pulled a decent card which allowed him to attack with everyone who was adjacent to my units. My hard-charging Warband finally were destroyed after repeated attacks giving Chris his 1st (and only) flag of the contest.
The Roman elation was short-lived as I played LEADERSHIP then MOUNTED CHARGE in consequetive turns on my left flank letting Hasdrubal finish off the Romans for a 7-1 victory.

CONCLUSSION: I don't give C & C much credit as a historical simulation but in this one game it sure turned out that way. Although there was no historical double-envelopment or attack in the Roman rear by calvary, the imbalanced result was the same. Chris had played a good game and the Romans that were left were still strong in supported lines while my troops were more scattered. I just got superior cards and darn lucky dice rolls at crucial times to give Carthage a nice lead in the Campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jimzik,

Glad to see you posting. My friend Richard and I are playing all the official scenarios in chronological order at least twice and switching sides. Sometimes 4 times per scenario. I have all the expansions to date. We've played 40 scenarios for 91 games to date and we just got in our first game of Cannae. I won 7-3. Next time I get to be the Romans.

I've been keeping records and intend to post later in some detail as soon we get 100 games in. In the 91 games played so far, (I'm 45 and 46 after starting out 2 and 12). There have been 25 games in which one side has had a 6 to 4 Command Card advantage. That side has won 19 of those 25 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.