Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is kind of summer for a couple of weeks already and something is missing.

Not the sun. Who cares? yuk

Not some holidays. Who needs that? gulp

It is: This year`s announcement of the next Fragor release! wow

And having a bit of saved (151.93, to be precise) I thought about this little contest.

NOTE: If you KNOW any of the correct answers (playtesters, translators, family members, whatever), you are strictly EXCLUDED from this contest. And you better believe, the Lamont Brothers will keep a keen eye out for any nobblers, diddlers, cheaters and fraudsters.

I asked the two formidable brothers and they were so kind to agree to this. But not only that! Read further in the official part of the text:

Official part of the text:

BoardgameNews will announce the next game of the Lamont Brothers at 5pm BST (11 pm BGG-time) on Sunday 16th (according to Fraser himself, and probably the German website cliquenabend.de will do the same).

The contest will run until MIDNIGHT Saturday 15th / Sunday, 16th of August 2009, BGG-time.

This contest is called "WHAT`S NEXT? AND WHY?" for a good reason and is devided into two parts with a total of 4 questions.

Part I: WHAT ?

What is the next FRAGOR game about?

Please give an answer to the following questions:

1. Which animal species is in the centre of it? (not "mammals" or "reptiles" - SPECIES)

2. What is the theme around these animals?

3. Which main mechanism or sub-genre is it featuring or belonging to? (not "euro", please )

Correct answers to the former FRAGOR games could have been:
Leapfrog: Frogs / Race with jump moves (race game)
Shear Panic: Sheep / Flocking together on their pasture (combinatorial chaos)
Hameln: Rats (Cat) / medieval city suffering from them (city building and economic, area control)
Antler Island: Antlers / Rutting season on an island (simultaneous action selection)
Snow Tails: Huskies / Musher race (card driven racing).

The correct answers will be crystal clear and obvious, after the game has been announced. In cases of doubt, I will decide, whether the answer is considered being "correct" or not (if you`d sue me for breach of contract afterwards, you are definitely in the wrong place here and better not take part in this).

Part I: WHY?
Please answer the following question:

4. WHY?

Find arguments for your assumptions regarding questions 1 - 3. Maybe you find a hidden logic for the animals in the timeline of FRAGOR releases, or the global political situation is forcing them into a direction, or religious fanatics have forced them to do this, or an "evolutionary daVinci code" or whatever.

The best ideas and reasons will be chosen by VOTE through the other users.

THE LOOT AND HOW IT WILL BE SHARED:

150 PLUS the tip for this thread are hereby declared as the POT.

The Sharing:

1. The final pot will be devided into 5 equal parts.

2. 3 parts of these 5 will be distributed between all correct answers to questions 1 to 3.
First there will be estimated the "denominator": A single correct answer counts 1 point, a second correct answer of the same user counts 2 points, and the third correct answer counts 3 points. The 3/5 of the pot will be devided by the total number of points and the users get their part.
Example: Let`s say, 3 users have 1 answer correct, 2 users 2 and a single one all 3. This would add up to 15 (6 x 1 + 3 x 2 + 1 x 3). Let`s assume, 3/5 of the pot is 120 GG, then this would be divided by 18. so, 8 GG per point. The three users with one correct guess get 8, two users with two correct guesses get 24, and the one with 3 correct guesses 48 GG.

3. 2 parts of the 5 parts of the pot will be distributed to the answers to question No. 4 with the third and second most votes, in the same ratio as their votes!
Example: One user got 56 votes and the other one 43, their total is 99. If 2/5 of the pot would be 80, this would be distributed like this: 42.25 GG and 34.75 GG.

4. The user with the most votes ( thumbsup ) will get a signed copy of this very game in question - the 2009 Fragor release - Yes.

Edit: I forgot - only "one answer / suggestion per question" per contributor, please. Feel free to quote and comment, but only guess and argue once.

And now to the people who VOTE:
Please consider you are voting, whenever you give a thumbsup for a post in this thread (but the first ). Thanks.

I am looking forward to the most weird, strange, awkward, Scottish, far-out animal species, themes, mechanics and reasons this website has ever seen.

Special service for contributors, to be easily "pasted and copied", here the form to be filled:
----------------------

1. Animal species:
2. Theme:
3. Main mechanism or genre:

4. Why?

----------------------

Thanks for your attention.

P.S.: Final disclaimer: If there will be any information available somewhere on the internet about this game before, the contest will be finished at once. You never know.

See last post for more ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Lamont Brothers / Fragor Games "WHAT`S NEXT? AND WHY?" - contest! Geekgold aplenty - and more!
1. Animal species: Whales
2. Theme: Whale Watching
3. Main mechanism or genre: Area to area movement of whales and area majority for tourists

4. Why?

What's next?
Why?
Whale
Watching
What else could it be...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Lamont Brothers / Fragor Games "WHAT`S NEXT? AND WHY?" - contest! Geekgold aplenty - and more!
1. Animal species: Mammals.........no...reptiles!
2. Theme: Euro about animals
3. Main mechanism or genre: Looks like a Euro to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species: Heterocephalus glaber
2. Theme: Sinking of the Titanic
3. Main mechanism or genre: worker placement/tile removal

4. Why?

Realizing that naked mole rats are big right now, I mean really BIG, no
HUGE!

Okay where was I?

So naked mole rats are huge right now and games about naked mole rats really can't fail. The Lamont brothers decided now is the time for the release of their naked mole rat masterpiece, "Sink the Titanic." Cleverly banking on the world's love of all things Titanic added to the HUGENESS that is naked mole rats, this game is guaranteed to outsell anything at Essen.

From the back of the box:

Each player takes the role of a colony of hyper-intelligent naked moles rats secretly bred in the MI-8 labs for anti-submarine warfare. They are being transported aboard the Titanic in the most secure containers possible (i.e. 8th class mail in a plain brown box) to the United States where they are to undergo further combat training and live fire exercises. Fortunately for the mole rats, but unfortunately for the passengers, the Titanic love taps an Iceberg, breaking open the 8th class mail hold and releasing the naked Mole Rat Hordes. Each round of play you have to make difficult decisions with your mole rat workers. Do you chew through another hold and flood one of your opponent's compartments (removing a tile from the game) to score sink point, or do you set them to burrowing into life preservers to make escape rafts? Do you send your queen into a mating frenzy to pop out replacements for drowned workers or does she kick back in the first class lounge with a cigar and brandy earning you notoriety points while hobbnobbing with the captains of industry?

You just thought you knew the real story of the Titanic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leigh gregurke
Australia
salisbury heights
south australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species: Ant-Eaters
2. Theme: Ant-Eaters feeding their ant eating addiction.
3. Main mechanism or genre: Set Collection, bending cards and using them to try and snort up little wooden ant blocks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cooper
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
Ask me how I got this badge early!
badge
Dexterity Games Guy for BGG.Con / GeekCoin # 318030
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal Species: Beavers
2. Theme: Building Dams
3. Mechanic: Area Control / Create the largest lake

4. Why: Because the Lamont Brothers have a dam on their property
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bruce
United Kingdom
Croydon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

1. Animal Species: Red Squirrel
2. Theme: The protection and nurture of the cute pretty Red Squirrels and their habitat from the dangers of nature, man and the evil Grey Squirrel
3. Genre: Co-operative

4. Why? Red Squirrels are cute and pretty. Everybody loves Red Squirrels. Co-operative is the genre of the moment. It has good guys and bad guys. It's family friendly and educational. 75% of the UK's Red Squirrels live in Scotland. This is probably because the Scots have a natural affinity with red hair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal Species: Meerkats
2. Theme: Building/maintaining a burrow
3. Mechanic: cooperation

4. Why:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal Species: Seagulls
2. Theme: Journey (Existentialist), Survival
3. Mechanic: push your luck /worker placement

4. Why: Because it's the best choice. Because they have as yet not dealt with birds. Because of Jonathan.

Yes. Jonathan - remember Jonathan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Robson
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
Available from www.spielmaterial.de
badge
Got a light, mate?
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal Species: Baldie Scotsmen
2. Theme: Folicle Regeneration
3. Mechanic: Head Rubbing

4. Why: Can you think of a better way to spend an evening?

Oops ... just noticed that playtesters aren't allowed to enter whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it. Edgar Allan Poe
badge
I never let schooling interfere with my education...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species: Snakes
2. Theme: St. Patrick driving the snakes off the island
3. Main mechanism or genre: Semi-cooperative—the player that best eliminates the snakes wins, but the players don't eliminate all of snakes by a set time limit, the snakes win and everyone loses

4. Why? Snakes, Why'd it have to be snakes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Mjeh wrote:
4. Why: ... Because they have as yet not dealt with birds.

Not with fish, reptiles, amoebas, insects either. To be precise, only mammals and amphibian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species: Woodchucks
2. Theme: Building homes for all those homeless refugee rats from Hameln...
3. Main mechanism or genre: Pick-up & deliver/building
4. Why? To answer that age old question that's been plaguing men of science for years: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species: Cats!
2. Theme: You prowl the city streets in search of rats to chase and dogs to run from.
3. Main mechanism or genre: Territory based exploration
4. Why? Rats, then Dogs... I think they missed a step!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species: Pigs
2. Theme: Pig Mafia taking over the streets of Chicago under the head of the Hog Father
3. Main mechanism or genre: drafting/card management/building
4. Why? Because I have a game exactly like this and that would be the way Murphy's Law would take it, and Murphy doesn't make such laws on a whim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth M.
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species:
Squirrels

2. Theme:
Different coloured squirrels fighting for control of a forest

VERY light wargame

4. Why?
With recent news reports of Black Squirrels taking out Grey Squirrels in the UK, the Lamont Brothers decided to cash in on this and the fact that no one else had even thought of having a Squirrel-themed War game.
And squirrels are cute, who doesn't want to play a game about cute things beating each other up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragonster wrote:
2. Theme:

4. Why?
With recent news reports of Black Squirrels taking out Grey Squirrels in the UK, the Lamont Brothers decided to cash in on this and the fact that no one else had even thought of having a Squirrel-themed War game.

Well, there is "Squirrel Squabble" - a VERY light wargame.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3726160

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Arezzi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species: PUFFINS
2. Theme: Aggression towards substandard bird Penguin

Puffins are finally sick of Penguins getting all the boardgames, movies, cartoons and licensing.
3. Main mechanism or genre: I'm thinking something in ways of a board where you have to conquer groups of penguins, and you get a hex. Having adjacent hexes gives you an advantage. Your puffin tribe must assume greater domination of penguins than your opponents (with cute game pieces of course)

4. Why?
The obvious reason who doesn't believe that Puffins have gotten the shaft over the years. Whether live action movies, parody of live action movies, big budget cartoon movies, spin off tv series, pbs documentaries. It is time for the Puffin to have his day and for this I applaud the Lamont Brothers. ((Unless of course I am wrong))

Ange

Oh no, what if they make a penguin game, I might be forced to boycott them....think of all BGG boycott threads I'd have to create. Well I guess I'll just remain hopeful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth M.
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
dragonster wrote:
2. Theme:

4. Why?

Well, there is "Squirrel Squabble" - a VERY light wargame.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3726160

Nuts! Someone else had thought of it.

I'll stick with my suggestion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
1. Animal species:
Chameleons

2. Theme:
Chameleons playing tag / hide and seek, but being able to change colours allows decisions to be made that will make the chameleons effectively invisible-in-plain-sight - from certain directions and ranges.

Secret Unit Deployment

4. Why?
Because Chameleons are playing hide-and-seek all around us all the time. We just can't see them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NJAnge wrote:
1. Animal species: PUFFINS
2. Theme: Aggression towards substandard bird Penguin

Puffins are finally sick of Penguins getting all the boardgames, movies, cartoons and licensing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Varela
Chile
Santiago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species: Suborder Odontoceti, Family Delphinidae, Genus Tursiops: Tursiops truncatus, a.k.a. Common Bottlenose Dolphin (just a plain sea mammal if you prefer).
2. Theme: Dolphins jumping and performing acrobatic figures in order to warn humans of the impending destruction of planet earth.
3. Main mechanism or genre: Set collection / Tile placement

4. Why?
Because everyone loves dolphins, even though they are not more intelligent than mice (see Hameln).
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species: Nightingales
2. Theme: Nightingales are trying to attract mates with their precious songs.
Assembling sound patterns from puzzle tiles.

4. Why?
Well, the species simply has to start with letter N. Why? Because there is a pattern evolving. The second letter of each species used is the first letter of a species used in a later game. Frogs (second letter R) inspired Rats; Sheep (second letter H) inspired Huskies, Rats (second letter A) inspired Antlers. Now it's time for the antlers to inspire a new species... and there is only one species with "N" in this list of animal names: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animal_names (everyone relies on wikipedia these days, why not the Lamont brothers?).

So we have settled on the species - what could be the theme in a game about Nightingales? Singing, what else. Now the Lamont brothers don't seem to actually ask players to sing songs themselves. I am sure they have thought about this and have invented a different method of representing songs. Puzzle tiles always work, so here we go!

That was easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Disser
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Beavers
2. Dam building
3. Resource management / Economy

4. Imagine building a dam using your mouth. Sounds difficult? Well, it is...
But did you ever think about the management skills required to assemble the building materials while other beavers try to do the same? You cannot simply stockpile wood and grass somewhere because you competition might steal it. However until you finish the dam, it always risks to float away or be damaged, so building in every newly acquired piece of wood right away might not always be the best choice... On the other hand, the further your project advances, the more protection your new housing can provide, reducing the risk due to nasty carnivores. Finally having the most advanced dam might focus the other beaver's envy towards you and that might have unfavorable consequences!

Are you not wondering, why this most interesting challenge has not been the topic of more games?

Would you not blindly buy a game which includes materials for building your own in-game dam?!

Need I say more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Animal species: Butterfly
2. Theme: Global weather pattern changing
3. Main mechanism or genre: Area control, pattern recognition, route/network building, and rock-paper-scissors.

4. Why?
Hey, weather is complicated! But if you can get your butterfly to flap her wings in China, you might be able to cause a tornado in Kansas! Get it wrong and you take out your whole family of pretty butterflies. Oh noes!

And also, I think the designers were listening when Ron asked why it had to be follow the spiders, why couldn't it be follow the butterflies. The Weasleys as inspiration for a board game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.