Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: Kiwi Designers...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering how many active Kiwi board game designers we have browsing these boards, or just in general?

We have of course Shem Phillips who was behind Linwood and now Capek.

We also have Jarrat Gray and Carl de Visser from Endeavor, which I'm really excited about!

And I thnik I've seen Grant Bullot, one of the trio behind Stonewall, lurking these hallowed halls.

Are there other esteemed designers from the Kiwi gaming community around?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunter
United Kingdom
Newcastle-under-Lyme
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Well I am a (PNP) game designer and I am a Kiwi, although I am presently based in the UK, do folk like me count?

Cheers
David
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You sure are - even moreso if you get that Palmerston North job!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Anderson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Matt Taylor the designer of BreakScore

And Niklas Preston the designer of Industry, The New Zealand Game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl de Visser
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
David Smith for Trax (and others)

Mike McManaway for Tantrix

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiny Pirate
New Zealand
Wellington
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Do you count those who are noodling around with a couple of ideas and prototypes? =)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Avatar
Just a quick note about http://www.battlefront.co.nz/ who have had a WWII boardgame out this year called Flames of War Firestorm
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38784

This is an extremely high quality product that brings the wargaming systems in line with a standard board. Not sure who the authors are specifically but the company is NZ. Check it out.

These Kiwis are awesome.

ninja

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jshortall wrote:
Just a quick note about http://www.battlefront.co.nz/ who have had a WWII boardgame out this year called Flames of War Firestorm
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38784

This is an extremely high quality product that brings the wargaming systems in line with a standard board. Not sure who the authors are specifically but the company is NZ. Check it out.

These Kiwis are awesome.

ninja



I have to confess to not being a fan of war games. Warhammer 40K used to drive me to tears...

BUT that product does look to be of extremely high quality. Is it gaining any ground in New Zealand on the likes of Warhammer et al?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Call to Arms had a flames of war tournament along with the 40k and other systems. You probably walked past a board at Wellycon actually. We really need a minature guru to give us the real buzz on it though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Avatar
Just to clarify- The Flames of War Generals 2 player standalone boardgame has its own board and military set, book of rules and dice etc. It is a boardgame just as Memoir 44 is a boardgame (although the likes of Memoir 44 et al are more mainstream and probably more accessible to date). The game is completely expandable to the Flames of War Firestorm campaigns and the board and components can be discarded to make way for your own Battleground miniatures and scenarios.

Hopefully as Andrew pointed out we could get some expert comments from the makers or the wargamers like my brother.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/455126
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jshortall wrote:
Just to clarify- The Flames of War Generals 2 player standalone boardgame has its own board and military set, book of rules and dice etc. It is a boardgame just as Memoir 44 is a boardgame (although the likes of Memoir 44 et al are more mainstream and probably more accessible to date). The game is completely expandable to the Flames of War Firestorm campaigns and the board and components can be discarded to make way for your own Battleground miniatures and scenarios.

Hopefully as Andrew pointed out we could get some expert comments from the makers or the wargamers like my brother.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/455126


I saw some FOW miniatures in a store yesterday. They were a smaller scale than I'd imagined from the photos. I'd also assumed they'd be plastic, but I think they were more likely pewter.

There was a good range available, too. Silly me, though - didn't even think to look at the prices! (Having said that, I possess neither the talent nor the patience to paint them!)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that the guys who design (family-oriented) games for IQ Ideas are forming or have formed some kind of game designers guild.

IQ Ideas have apparently sold something like 20,000 copies of The Great Moa Hunt in NZ last year, second only to Monopoly! They also sell IQube (if I have the name right), Foursite and then trivia games like Moa Hunt, Goanna Hunt, etc. It's not really the spectrum of games BGGers tend to look at, though perhaps if you have kids... I briefly looked at some monkey-themed game of theirs and it seems to have more than a smattering of euro features.




 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jshortall wrote:
Just a quick note about http://www.battlefront.co.nz/ who have had a WWII boardgame out this year called Flames of War Firestorm
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38784

This is an extremely high quality product that brings the wargaming systems in line with a standard board. Not sure who the authors are specifically but the company is NZ. Check it out.

These Kiwis are awesome.

ninja

I used to be a flames of war nut, before I knew better
I imagine this is designed by phil (who does flames of war), but i could be wrong. I'll see if I can find out, I know a lot of the people at battlefront. I've heard mixed things about the game to be honest, but I'd love to give it a go regardless. Evidently it can be used for a FoW campaign.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
The monkey game does look interesting but I got the reverse feeling, that its more missing things rather than having things.


With that said I like monkeys so theres a reasonable chance I'll get it at some stage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:
I've heard that the guys who design (family-oriented) games for IQ Ideas are forming or have formed some kind of game designers guild.

IQ Ideas have apparently sold something like 20,000 copies of The Great Moa Hunt in NZ last year, second only to Monopoly! They also sell IQube (if I have the name right), Foursite and then trivia games like Moa Hunt, Goanna Hunt, etc. It's not really the spectrum of games BGGers tend to look at, though perhaps if you have kids... I briefly looked at some monkey-themed game of theirs and it seems to have more than a smattering of euro features.






You're thinking of David Allis, and he's the chairman of the NZGA. (http://nzgames.org/)

The NZGA is still in its early stages, but it's just what the local industry needs. A huge thumbs up to them! thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Minty Hunter
New Zealand
Carterton
Wairarapa
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:
I've heard that the guys who design (family-oriented) games for IQ Ideas are forming or have formed some kind of game designers guild.

Andrew Baker of IQ Ideas is one of the founding members, with David Allis as the chair. I set up the website (very quickly- it could do with more attention!) at nzgames.org which gives an idea of the association's aim, which is essentially:

"The New Zealand Games Association (NZGA) aims to encourage the development of the game industry in Aotearoa New Zealand, from game design & development, through publishing and sales."

From my POV, if it will grow the NZ game community, it's a good thing.

ZirkvandenBerg wrote:
IQ Ideas have apparently sold something like 20,000 copies of The Great Moa Hunt in NZ last year, second only to Monopoly!

Not sure if that's exactly the sales figure, but it has done well. Well enough that (warning- shameless plug) the first Moa Hunt expansion, Off The Beaten Track, will be out for Christmas.

I've been involved in various IQ Ideas games at varying levels from proofing to testing to rule-doctoring. They do seem to be branching out beyond their original game/puzzle roots in MiQube and family/school-oriented games like Moa Hunt. Trilith is an abstract strategy, and Monkey Mayhem is, as you note:

ZirkvandenBerg wrote:
I briefly looked at some monkey-themed game of theirs and it seems to have more than a smattering of euro features.

It's from a Euro designer, so it is very euro-centric: choose two actions from a list of five, use of coloured chits etc. I find it easy to teach because it's straightforward and logical, with a nice balance of building and opponent screwage and usually one more thing you want to do on your turn than you can. Games tend to whip by rapidly, although the optional rules can expand your choices a fair bit and extend the playing time.

I do have to insert a bit of a rave for my partner Bek, who did the graphics- I think the game looks fabulous and has great thematic consistency.

Okay, I'm ducking out before I get skewered as a shill But I am very pleased to see the activity that's happening on the NZ game design front, and looking forward to more of it, as well as another fab Wellycon session next year!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mintyh wrote:
But I am very pleased to see the activity that's happening on the NZ game design front, and looking forward to more of it, as well as another fab Wellycon session next year!


Wellycon warm down coming up. Mark the 23rd of January on your calenders, venue TBA.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.