Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris M.
United States
Kings Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got around to messing with the Battlelore module and I was intrigued by the "Flip Card" feature. What's the purpose of having all of the cards drawn facedown with the tiny version of the card on the back to begin with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three occasions where this comes in very handy:

The one of greatest necessity is when playing Call to Arms and initially placing the deployment cards face down.

The second is when drawing after a Scout play. To show the opponent that one is not keeping both cards drawn and discarding a stinker from ones hand, one places both cards drawn face down on the board, selects one and discards the other.

This one isn't as necessary, as the decision making can take place within ones hand, but when thinking about playing a lore card alongside a command card I often lay the command card down face down while considering the lore play, then reveal it appropriately.

Some players have cards pop out of their hands (errant mouse work, hot keys perhaps?), so keeping the cards unflipped may be wise for them.

I also play that the initial lore draw is done on the board, so keeping those four unflipped until the decision is made is necessary.

Have fun on Vassal

EDIT: and, if one places the cursor over a card of which one can see through the back, the card will magnify, making it easier to see/read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M.
United States
Kings Mountain
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Todd. I'm assuming that the opposing player cannot "see through" the unflipped card on the table then? I see the benefit of the unflipped cards feature in the module now, thanks for the explanation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right - exactly, only the player designated as Player 1 can see the cards drawn by Player 1, etc. Any observers will also only see the back of the cards drawn by either player and laid out face down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.