Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, first off, I'm not a typical BGG eurogamer - I mostly play wargames and own hundreds of them. And after wargames, I'd probably say I like 18XX games the most. I only own maybe 10 Euros and don't generally care about collecting expansions, customizing bits, etc. Euros really don't get played very often - mostly only the Big 3 Gateway Games (Carc, TTR, Settlers) when we have non-gamer friends over.

But I'm hopelessly addicted to Agricola bits. I love them. I want them all. I need them all. Damn it, I need two sets of them all because... well... I don't know, something could happen to the first set. And then I would be sad. And right now I'm spending many hours constructing a precisely designed foamcore organizer to hold all those precious bits in a maximally elegant manner.

And I barely play the game. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't usually have the group for it. My wife's not a huge fan and I'm not a member of a regular Euro group (because I'm usually playing other things). So even though I think it's a great game, I only end up playing once every couple months, if that. So why am I collecting so many damn bits?

I can't help but notice that I don't seem alone here. Besides all the official "Pimp Your Agricola" threads that everyone pounces on, this is the game that spawned all the FIMO sculptures, which really don't seem to have taken off so much for other titles. Plus all the tuckboxes, organizers, aids, and so on. So what is it about Agricola bits that makes us so crazy? Do we harbor a collective, secret yearning to be farmers? Are we showing our love for a really well-designed game? Are we all just complete suckers for marketing and clueless victims of group-think? There has to be some kind of rational explanation.

Somebody help me understand before I send another $100 to Lookout. Not because I won't do it anyway, but because I'll feel more in control of the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben James
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
this is the game that spawned all the FIMO sculptures, which really don't seem to have taken off so much for other titles.

I new to some of the fine points of Geek Speek. What are the FIMO sculptures? I don't know what they are, but if it has to Agricola, I MUST HAVE IT!

Great Post (although I don't know the answer to your question).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwjames wrote:
I new to some of the fine points of Geek Speek. What are the FIMO sculptures? I don't know what they are, but if it has to Agricola, I MUST HAVE IT!

FIMO is a type of colorful modelling clay available at art and hobby stores. I believe Frank Strauss ("f-p-p-m") kicked off the craze by modelling his farmers in FIMO. And since then, some folks have basically remodelled every piece in the game. Browse through the Creative subsection of the Agricola image gallery. Even with 45 pages of images, it won't take long for you to find lots of examples. Here's (a very impressive) one:

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/291708
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
OK, first off, I'm not a typical BGG eurogamer ...And I barely play the game. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't usually have the group for it. ...Somebody help me understand before I send another $100 to Lookout. Not because I won't do it anyway, but because I'll feel more in control of the situation.

Don't worry, Todd. I'll be happy to take them all off your hands when you finally come to your senses and are looking for a deserving someone to donate them to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
England
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before the game was released in English, and the hype was building I was very interested by the reviews of the game, but concerned that my game group would find it all a bit much - especially with all those bits.

So, inspired by Frank and one or two others that had modelled their own farmers, resources and animals, I set about Fimo'ing everything myself. BEFORE I EVEN OWNED THE GAME!

But it seemed to work. This game was a massive hit, and I've felt that it has been worth every bit of effort to create all that stuff. I must say, that I realised fairly quickly that it it wasn't absolutely necessary. ninja and we probably would have got along fine with the cubes and discs. But I don't regret it at all.

in fact... ninja ... I just pimped le harve... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Steindorfer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Newsh wrote:

in fact... :ninja: ... I just pimped le harve... :ninja:

then you should start to make fimo vegetables for At the Gates of Loyang , i would try 200+ pieces :p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
England
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But not before I've sorted out the Horses for the Moor Famers... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
England
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[ shameless self-promotion]

Newsh wrote:
I just pimped le harve... ninja

Geeklist to explain further here...

[ / shameless self-promotion]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.