Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen this come up from time to time, so I thought I'd share. I've always felt standard 18XX tiles were pretty chintzy, more suited for a playtest kit than a published game. Previously, I laminated them with 5 mil matte laminate. This helped with stiffness and protection, but they were still rather lightweight as well as being so thin that they were hard to pick up off the table. They also took forever to laminate and cut out nicely. For my last set, I tried something different and ordered some plywood miniature bases from Litko:

http://www.litkoaero.com/page/LAI/CTGY/HB_40mm

I stuck the tiles onto the bases with a glue stick (much faster than cutting out laminate) and gave them a test run. I'm extremely happy with the results. Though the bases are only plywood and not hardwood, they have a very smooth finish and won't snag or splinter you. The edges are very clean and darkened from the laser cutting, which looks great when they're assembled. They have sufficient weight that they feel like game pieces and not just pieces of paper. They stack nicely. And they're thick enough that I can pick them up easily. The only functional drawback they have compared to laminated tiles is that they wouldn't protect against spillage. But given that I could easily print up replacement tiles from online tile databases, I don't worry too much about that.

The 40mm size is exactly the size of an 18XX hex. They're available in several thickness - 0.8, 1.5, and 3.0 mm. I used the 1.5mm ones, and the resulting pieces are just about the same thickness as a die-cut counter from MMP or GMT wargames, which is perfect IMO but is probably a matter of taste. The only downside is that they're a bit expensive - 100 tiles cost me $27 plus shipping. Oddly, both the 0.8 and 3.0 thickness are cheaper at only $21. 100 tiles will cover about 1.5 typical 18XX games, so figure an added cost of about $20 per title, less if you use the other sizes. Given the high prices of many of these games in the first place, that doesn't feel so bad to me. And IMO the extra cost is well worth avoiding the hassle of precisely cutting out laminated tiles, which I found very tedious. Do note that there's about a 2 week lag time from Litko, as they cut each batch to order.

Anyway, I hope this might be helpful to some folks. I don't have pictures, as they wouldn't really show up as anything but just thicker looking tiles. But I definitely think they're a big improvement over lamination and much, much, much simpler than trying to mount the originals on mattboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Colour me surprised. I've always felt that Deep Thought Game's laminated 18xx tiles ranged somewhere between wonderful and ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Colour me surprised. I've always felt that Deep Thought Game's laminated 18xx tiles ranged somewhere between wonderful and ideal.

If I ever see a set, perhaps I'll be convinced. My order's been queued there for almost a year and still has over a hundred orders in front of it. But unless they're using really thick laminate (like 7 or 10 mil) or cold-laminating thicker stock, I think I'll stick with the Litko solution.

Forgive me for suggesting that some things can be improved upon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably worth noting that to avoid pain and suffering on cluttered maps, 18xx tiles are slightly smaller than the hexes.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
tppytel wrote:
Forgive me for suggesting that some things can be improved upon.

I've no problem with the attempt, I merely don't find it an improvement. The fact that DTG's tiles are thin, light-weight, extremely stiff, perfectly regular and easily picked up with a faintly moist fingertip tapped onto the centre of the tile are all advantages to me. In fact, I'm such a fan of DTG's track tiles that I'm in the process of asking DTG to make replacement track tiles for (most) all my non-DTG 18xx games (eg 18AL, 18GA, 1830, 1848, etc). They are so very very good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
I've no problem with the attempt, I merely don't find it an improvement. The fact that DTG's tiles are thin, light-weight, extremely stiff, perfectly regular and easily picked up with a faintly moist fingertip tapped onto the centre of the tile are all advantages to me. In fact, I'm such a fan of DTG's track tiles that I'm in the process of asking DTG to make replacement track tiles for (most) all my non-DTG 18xx games (eg 18AL, 18GA, 1830, 1848, etc). They are so very very good!

Fair enough - we all have our own criteria. Thanks for stating yours. The thickness is obviously much more important to me than to you.

thepackrat wrote:
It's probably worth noting that to avoid pain and suffering on cluttered maps, 18xx tiles are slightly smaller than the hexes.

Good point. I should have said "The 40mm size is exactly the size of an 18XX tile." By the end of our 1825 Unit 3 game, the center of the board was entirely tiled and everything fit perfectly. I haven't measured my other titles yet to see whether all the publishers use exactly the same dimensions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this information. While I likely will not be able to make use of this in the near future, I am glad to have the information available when I do. I find there is something much more satisfying when playing with thicker tiles, such as those found in Steam over Holland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:
Thanks for posting this information. While I likely will not be able to make use of this in the near future, I am glad to have the information available when I do. I find there is something much more satisfying when playing with thicker tiles, such as those found in Steam over Holland.

Thicker being more important than sanely coloured then?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
seppo21 wrote:

Thicker being more important than sanely coloured then?

B>

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't have any trouble with the colors in my copy of Steam over Holland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
seppo21 wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't have any trouble with the colors in my copy of Steam over Holland.

SoH (unjustifiably?) uses non-traditional tile colours and components compared to other 18xx. This is not necessarily a Good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
seppo21 wrote:

SoH (unjustifiably?) uses non-traditional tile colours and components compared to other 18xx. This is not necessarily a Good thing.

The designer has said it was a mistake late in production. Choosing the wrong colour from an uncalibrated monitor if I recall correctly.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
seppo21 wrote:

Granted, the yellow tiles are yellow-green instead of lemon yellow, but that hardly seems to toss them into the camp of not being "sanely coloured". They are at least all the same shade of yellow-green, unlike 1825 where each of the base three levels of tile come in at least three different shades. I suppose it would be pointless to note that the color of the yellow tiles is hardly uniform across the spectrum of 18xx games. At any rate, the use of non-traditional colors and components is not necessarily a Bad thing, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seppo21 wrote:

Granted, the yellow tiles are yellow-green instead of lemon yellow, but that hardly seems to toss them into the camp of not being "sanely coloured". They are at least all the same shade of yellow-green, unlike 1825 where each of the base three levels of tile come in at least three different shades. I suppose it would be pointless to note that the color of the yellow tiles is hardly uniform across the spectrum of 18xx games. At any rate, the use of non-traditional colors and components is not necessarily a Bad thing, either.

It was a mistake in production. Are you defending this as a stylistic choice?

While there is variation in 18xx colours, especially among some of the older small-run games, the yellow-green of the SoH tiles is remarkably similar (due to this accidental mistake) to the colour used for green tiles in some other 18xx titles. This in particular is awful.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very promising. I, too, prefer the thicker track tiles over the laminated ones. Again, personal preference. I self-print and mount the tiles to cardboard (paper pad backing) and cut them out on a flatbed rotary cutter. Takes a couple of evenings to generate the set but is very satisfying to use.

I'll have to try the wood mounted option for my next DIY tile set.

If you do happen to get a chance to take a picture or two of the tiles in play, I'd love to see how they look. (You can see what I'm willing to go through to get thicker, meatier, tiles here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/415967 )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
RaDiKal wrote:
I, too, prefer the thicker track tiles over the laminated ones.

One of the things I like about the standard paper/laminated tiles is that they put the track image at close to the same height as the map. Thus the track printed on tiles is close to being visually consistent with the track pre-printed on the map. Thick tiles also raise the track over the map, creating a visual disjoint across the visual layers of track -- which would be even worse in a game like 1844 where the tiles can stack! It is a small thing, but I like the additional ease in visual processing of thinner tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
RaDiKal wrote:
I, too, prefer the thicker track tiles over the laminated ones.

One of the things I like about the standard paper/laminated tiles is that they put the track image at close to the same height as the map. Thus the track printed on tiles is close to being visually consistent with the track pre-printed on the map. Thick tiles also raise the track over the map, creating a visual disjoint across the visual layers of track -- which would be even worse in a game like 1844 where the tiles can stack! It is a small thing, but I like the additional ease in visual processing of thinner tiles.

As you can see in the picture, we're not talking about a difference in height that would lead to a meaningful change in perspective or focal point - just something we can pick up at the edges - on the order of Avalon Hill wargame counters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
RaDiKal wrote:
As you can see in the picture, we're not talking about a difference in height that would lead to a meaningful change in perspective or focal point - just something we can pick up at the edges - on the order of Avalon Hill wargame counters.

I don't know the AH counters, so can't comment there. The picture suggests something roughly similar to DTG's tiles, which I find excellent. These however are horrible:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
RaDiKal wrote:

I don't know the AH counters, so can't comment there. The picture suggests something roughly similar to DTG's tiles, which I find excellent. These however are horrible:

Yes, horrible. On that we are definitely in full agreement ;-)

The black sides to the tiles destroys any and all benefit. Also, while I can't tell how thick the tiles are, they appear to be 2-3x thicker than what the OP is using (or what I've done to date).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a little hard to tell for sure from the pic, but those appear at least 3 times thicker than mine. Like I said, the 1.5mm Litko bases are just about the same thickness as a typical GMT/MMP wargame counter - thick enough to pick up easily, but not thick enough to create a noticeable perspective effect.

I'll try to get an action pic up sometime soon, but I've got a bunch of other games that are going to be on the table for the next few days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
White Settlement
TX
flag msg tools
Only 6 months until the next round.
badge
A little lower and to the left, please.
I'm intrigued by the magnetic bases at that link. We made a set of 1830 tiles using self-adhesive business card magnets. It was a pretty labor-intensive process, but we use those tiles on a laminated roll-out map on top of a magnetic whiteboard, and they don't move until we want them to. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calderwood Speer
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Score 1 for the newbie.

I made this set using the 1/8" foamcore. It was my first PnP of anything and my first play of an 18XX (even if it is 18EZ). I was helping playtest the game. I came into 18XX with no pre-conceived notions on how it was "supposed" to be since I had never seen an 18XX game in person (or online for that matter).

Yes, it might look horrible, but it is only a playtest copy. I like the fact that the tiles are thick, though. I hate paper-thin pieces of paper.

For the record, I have ordered 1" tiles, 3" tiles, and my 2" tiles should be arriving tomorrow from Litko for prototypes of a game I am working on. The tiles are awesome.

I will be ordering the 40mm size for whatever 18XX I decide to build, too.

Also, I do know of a website where I can order 1/8" (3mm) thick (I did not ask to see if they can do thinner) 2" (flat-to-flat) tiles, made of real wood, for 20 cents apiece.... So around 150 for $30.00 there.

There are options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad H.
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find matte board to be an acceptable thickness. One sheet mounted all the tiles, charters, and privates for my 18AL PnP. It was only $6 which fits better within my budget.

Although, I also think the DTG tiles are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.