Subject: one creature blocks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so given the battle party rules, can I attack with say 5 creatures who are all 4/4/3, then my opponent use a single 1/1/3 creature and block the entire party? or would the attacking creatures do one damage to the blocker, then the other 19 to the player? or would one character do his damage to the blocker, while the others do their 16 to the player?

I know if their was a speed 4, it would kill the blocker and the speed 3s would go through, but given the same speed what happens?

The basically harks back to the speed vs trample question asked in a previous thread, but in a more simplified version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Ah, Denny, I've hardly seen you this episode."
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty straightforward, really. For each available speed, look on both sides of the battle and for each character that hasn't yet assigned damage, assign each character's strength to the opposing party, divided however you like. If there are still characters in the opposing party, damage must be assigned to them before any can be assigned to the target (location or faction, depending).

Hope that helps!
-Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no it doesn't.

Do the Character's have trample?
or
Can you assign damage to the faction even if a character isn't dead yet because damage isn't actually DEALT til the end of the turn? If you know the damage can kill it, can you progress to the target.

So no, it's not straight forward, the wording is NOT clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Andersson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only been playing this for a week so not a real expert, but...

No, creatures do NOT have trample and all the DMG has to be applied to a living creature before being able to hit the Faction/Structure. Since you can never be sure that you will kill a creature you can't spread your DMG between creature and faction/structure. Even if you do 20 DMG and he blocks with a 1 LIFE creature there are still tons of Tactic cards etc that might affect the outcome.

In your case combat would look like this...

You choose to attack with 3 creatures...
*Chance to play tactics*
He blocks with one.
*Chance to play tactics*
Since the speed is the same for all creatures involved all the DMG happends at the same time and has to be applied to participating creatures. So in this case, your creatures apply 20 DMG on his creature and he puts 1 DMG into one of yours.
*Chance to play tactics*
DMG vs LIFE is calculated to see what dies... in this case, your opponents creature dies.
*Chance to play tactics*

If you would have attacked with any Speed 2 creatures, it would now be their turn to apply DMG, but since none if his creatures were left to Block, their DMG would be applied to his Faction/Structure. Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Barnes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was what I thought happened, but just checking. Thanks for the support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swingjunkie wrote:
no it doesn't.

Do the Character's have trample?
or
Can you assign damage to the faction even if a character isn't dead yet because damage isn't actually DEALT til the end of the turn? If you know the damage can kill it, can you progress to the target.

So no, it's not straight forward, the wording is NOT clear.

It is straightforward. There is no such thing as "trample" in The Spoils, so please don't read things into the game from other games.

You cannot assign damage to the target of the attack (faction or location, depending) unless there are no characters left in the defending party. Characters die instantly when dealt damage equal to their life, not at the end of the turn. So if you happen to kill off all of the members of the defending party with higher speed characters, the lower speed characters can assign damage to the target when it's their turn to assign damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Indeed. That's why you can attack multiple times per turn. So you can spread out your attacks and your massive party won't end up being blocked by a micromajig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david platnick
United States
charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Characters die instantly when dealt damage equal to their life

That is not the way the rules seem to read.

Under "how to resolve battle"

step 2 is assign damage and step 5 is resolve damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zamborsky
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Platnick wrote:
Characters die instantly when dealt damage equal to their life

That is not the way the rules seem to read.

Under "how to resolve battle"

step 2 is assign damage and step 5 is resolve damage.

Correct. Read what I said: "dealt damage". And damage is dealt when it is resolved in step 5 during combat; if you have a way to prevent or nullify damage in between those steps, then the damage isn't dealt. Make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.