13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: i need a recommendation for a strategic war game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matija mestrovic
Croatia
flag msg tools
hello, my friends birthday is coming up, and i would like to buy him a game we all can enjoy.
so far, we haven't played anything but Risk, and i would like to buy him possibly a war game or something interesting with high dosage of strategy, maybe bluffing, for minimum 3-4 players. some game that is interesting and luck is reduced to minimum. and with game time that can be prolonged to even day or two
i doesn't have to be anything like risk.

i hope that game like that exists
i'm looking forward to your suggestions.
thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

You might find it useful to take a look at this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/431106

If your friend is interested in any particular period of history or war, that may also help fellow geeks to recommend something appropriate.

Good luck with finding a game.

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Morgal
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Experiencing senility daily since... I forget.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a little bit of everything.

Check out the links.

Antike

Hold the Line

Axis & Allies: D-Day

Memoir '44

History of the World

Chainmail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Syrovatka
Czech Republic
Beroun
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you may like Pax Romana. The rulebook seems intimidating but there are easy training scenarios and the game is awesome. And if you have 2 days to spare, look no further.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Ravasi
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Axis & Allies of course!

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
Stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Friedrich

Friedrich should fit your bill. Although it NEEDS a min of three players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the History of the World recommendation and disagree with the Pax Romana recommendation.

Axis and Allies is the 'general favorite' next game, but there are better games out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't agree about Pax Romana being a next step after Risk.

I second the recommendation for Friedrich. I'd also mention Imperial.(Arguably not a wargame, but has a light, fluffy wargame on the inside of a chewy, crunchy investments game.)

Viktory II is also a very good next step for Risk players, but is only available (as far as I know) directly from the designer, who lives in the States. Could be some steep shipping costs.

History of the World would also be a very good choice. I personally prefer the first (non-plastic-piece) release by AH, but it's more difficult to obtain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
My recommendation for a strategic wargame would be a card driven wargame (CDG).

These are probably the best ones to start with:

Successors (third edition) - Supports 2 to 4 players. Set in the immediate aftermath of the death of Alexander the Great, the players each control of faction of his squabbling generals each trying to become his successor.

Sword of Rome - Players take on one of four peoples (Romans, Gauls, Greeks and Etruscan/Samnites) in a fight to see who will control Italy. Support 2,3 or 4 players. There is an expansion which allows a 5th player (Carthage) to take part. Plays best with 4 or 5 players.

The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) - Supports 2 to 5 players. Covers the period 1805-1815. Each of the players controls one of the major Powers of the War (France, Britain, Austria, Russia and Prussia).

Wellington - Supports 2 to 4 players. It covers the Peninsular War from 1812 to 1814. The game has very similar rules/mechanics to The Napoleonic Wars, although being a maximum of three Turns long it can easily be played in 3-4 hours.

If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, then the following game is well worth a look at:

Here I Stand - Supports 3 to 6 players, although it plays best with either 3, 5 or 6. Avoid playing the game with 4 players as it's very unbalanced. Here I Stand is set during the Wars of Religion of the 16th Century. One of its great strengths is that every one of the Powers in the game (England, France, Protestant Germany, The Habsburgs, The Papacy and The Ottoman Turks) plays very differently. It is a fairly steep learning curve, but if you and your friends are not afraid of a challenge then I highly recommend it.

Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Dust might also be a good choice.

A game always makes a nice gift... you are a good friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
geoff miller
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
As i read your conditions for what you're looking for i thought - he's describing War for Edaðh almost exactly!

We've been trying out the multi-player game and it's great!

You'd need to learn the basic game (one vs one ) first, but this game has everything that you're looking for, absolutely, and won't cost the earth (not a ccg and has no miniatures to paint but some lovely art on the cards)

You can download a demo of the basic game from the publisher's website -www.warriorelite.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle of Empires A big step up from Risk, but so worth it. Up to 7 players, and should take around 6 hours with 5 players that are new to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Påhlsson
Sweden
Klippan
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have a little unorthodox suggestion, but it might be EXACTLY what you are looking for:
A Game of Thrones from Fantasy Flight Games(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6472).

This is our game groups current favourite game, and it seems to have what you a looking for:

- A wargame for 5 players (we never play with less) with no long term alliances or teams.
- Bluffing and Diplomacy is the heart of the game, and really necessary to win.
- Assymetric, in the way that each player has different starting conditions and different challenges. This also creates great replayability.
- Easy rules, although strangely enough they are very complete and flexible and does not feel limiting.
-The gameplay has a great theme and everybody is very involved at all times.
- No luck. The game doesn't come with any dice at all. Unpredictabilty comes from the other player's choices.

The only turn-off could be that it's not historical, but based on a series of fantasy fiction novels.

Kind regards

Tom
Sweden
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.