Popular Tags: Suggestions [+] New [+] Gamer [+] [View All]
Greg Miller
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the board-gaming world, and have recently committed to becoming a "geek" of sorts. I want to know if anyone has any good games they know that are for newer geeks. I am interested in Wargames particualrly, and play alot of Axis and Allies, but would like to expand. However, I am stuck in a gamer unfriendly family, so some multiplayer games will be out, but still. I am open to all kinds of gaming and any games suggested will be in consideration. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wargaming is a wide open subject - what period do you prefer? Scale? Length of play? Subject?

If you play solo, I'd recommend
Field Commander: Rommel
Field Commander: Alexander

For 2-player,
Commands & Colors: Ancients
World at War: Eisenbach Gap

There are dozens more immediately suited to a new wargamer, lots of others will voice their opinions soon. But it'll help immesurably if you can refine your own requirements a bit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't Memoir '44 or Battle Cry the gateway game for the wargaming crowd? 2 players so not that hard to find an opponent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
He has played A&A so I would say memoir 44 is to simple. I would suggest you go with something with more complexity and stratagy than m44.

If you want little tanks I would say go with the Tide of Iron.
If you want a board game go with Conflict of Heroes or Combat Commander. CoH has a new one coming out. Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943

I would say CoH is easier to learn and more of an introduction to board wargamming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to BGG!

If you're interested in a traditional hex and counter wargame:

Battle for Germany

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Miller
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help! I often tend to lean toward Napoleanic, and WWII/WWII games. No preference to what type of game (hex/miniatures/chits etc) and have quite a bit of time for playing. I have looked at Memoir '44 before and also looked into a hex game, Berlin: Red Victory. Any more games would help to. Thanks for the help so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend War of The Ring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good at learning, useless at playing
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
Tide of Iron seems a good pick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Miller
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the types of Wargames, is there one most easily adapted to from A@A? I am considering Commands and Colours: Ancients, Memoir '44, and War of the Ring (LOTR fan). Do these seem easier to adapt to from A@A, rather then games such as, Conflict of Heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
dont go m44. A&A is more in depth that m44 I think. I could play m44 with my 5 year old with a little guidance. I doubt I could do that with A&A

Command and Colours would be good
War of the Ring good (especially being a lotr fan)
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 it is a simple hex and chit game with good depth and built to euro games quality rather than flimsy cardboard componants like other wargames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir'44 is easy for anyone! C&C uses a very similiar system to Memoir'44, so the easiest scenarios should not cause you much problem, but as you add more options it might get pretty complicated. War or the Ring is pretty darn fiddly and complicated from what I've heard (haven't played it), but also a brilliant game.

And check the publishers' sites for the manuals. Most are downloadble in full color PDFs, so you can get a very good idea of what the game is about before you buy,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring can be fiddly, the first time, but most of the rules are actually really intuitive, in my opinion.

Plus for Tolkein fans there's nothing better. Combining a good wargame with interesting mechanics and LOTR. /drool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.