Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Based on your experience in the follow areas:

1.) Availability of Games
2.) Prices of Games
3.) Free shipping (Cool Stuff: $100; Fair Play: $125)
4.) Condition of games when shipped
5.) Time from order to arrival (assuming no backorders)

Would you say that Cool Stuff Inc (www.coolstuffinc.com) is better/worse/same as Fair Play Games (www.fairplaygames.com)

I have ordered over twenty games from Fair Play (in four or five different orders. I have never had ANY problems, but I'm wondering if I should switch to Cool Stuff as they are usually a dollar or two cheaper per game, in my wish list anyway, and the free shipping cap is $25 less.

Any ideas/experiences?

Thanks,
Caleb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
CalebSkye wrote:
I'm wondering if I should switch to ...

*switch* isn't the right way to look at it... it's not liking switching from one propane company to another and you have to sign a new contract, or going to a new isp...

you can be a customer of *both* (and others)... it all depends on what you want to order at the time, who has everything in stock and the bottom line price. If a particular order for example you are planning to order several or a lot of Rio Grande Games titles you may want to consider boards/bits as they discount msot of those titles 38% and even with shipping (about flat rate $4.50 coast to coast on $100+ orders) the bottom line price may be less. Or something (or two) you've had your eye on may be part of a Saturday Night Special at Boulder Games and they too have free ship at $100.01+).

http://www.boardgameprices.com/ has a shopping cart system you could use to try shopping your order around. Your profile doesn't have where you live but if the bottom line price is close you may want to factor in how quickly you want your order, on the East coast that would be GameSurplus and BoulderGames, in Florida CoolStuff, Northwest boards/bits, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Fordham
United States
Rome
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Ah, that's a nice tool, thanks.

I agree that you can shop multiple places.

Thanks!
Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used boardgameprices.com for a while now, but I didn't know about the "cart" system they have. That's just SWEET!

As someone who has an order of games coming right up, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do a lot of ordering from Coolstuffinc and, one nice thing is, the more you order from them, the more of a discount you receive.

I don't think I'll ever get up to 15% or so, but I'm cruising by with a 2-3% discount on my orders . . . which is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i've never ordered from Fair Play, but i have from CSI. They are great!

They have a live inventory so you know exactly how much of each game is available (which can help you decide if you need to figure out your order NOW in case there's like 1 item left and you're afraid someone will snatch it up before you)

They were quick to reply to my email and... darn... i forgot to mention this in my feedback thread... but they even switched out a game for me when i bought the wrong item. (order didn't ship yet)

They're awesome!

Edit: My huge order game and each game was in immaculate condition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI is great if your on the East Coast for shipping times. They ship from Florida and I live in SC. I get 2-day delivery always from them for the standard ground shipping. The only other places i've ordered from have been Boards and Bits and Troll and Toad. And most of the time it was because CSI didn't have an item I wanted. But I haven't really had any problems with any online gaming retailer yet, knock on wood =P, so maybe i'm just too new to the hobby to have been burned =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from both. They're both fast shippers, have great customer service, all that. Usually, who I choose comes down to who has all the games I want in stock. Assuming all things equal, CSI wins out with:

1. Cheaper shipping threshold
2. Cheaper prices
3. Loyalty rewards (the more you order from them, the bigger the bonus discount. I'm up to 2% right now.)
4. Live inventory (CSI displays the exact number of copies remaining)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Aldridge
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Infinite Dreams Gaming
badge
Warehouse 13: The Board Game
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't ever ordered from Fair Play, but I've ordered large orders twice from CoolStuffInc and have been pleased both times. I'd highly recommend them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from FairPlay many times and have been happy every time! Good prices, you can get free shipping, excellent customer service.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S P
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have also ordered from CSI with great results (5 orders) and would highly recommend them. I have not ordered from Fair Play so I cannot compare them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had several orders from both and like them both.

One thing that no on has mentioned is that Fairplay does price matching (with some restrictions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Servo
United States
watkinsville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered from both, liked them both. I don't think you can go wrong with either of the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered from fairplay early in my days of ordering board games and they did a great job of getting my games to me in a orderly manner. My games were as promised.

However I recently ordered from Coolstuff because they have a much lower threshold on the free shipping. I was impressed with their service but because I live in the west it took a long time to get my games to me.

I still think I would go with Coolstuff over fairplay if I had to order a larger ammount of games because I wouldn't have to spend as much to get the free shipping. If I'm only ordering a game or two I use boardsandbits because they are based in washington and my games reach me sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
SAN JOSE
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fierce Fish Win the Cup
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably the only person on here that does not like coolstuff. I've had more than one transaction with them and issues each time. I no longer ship with them and will go with nobleknight, thoughthammer or someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ordered from both as well, taking advantage of some games on clearance from Cool Stuff, but I do prefer Fair Play Games. One of the main factors for me is the available games. Fair Play has many more games available, including imports on occassion, which I've never seen at Cool Stuff. And, as another poster mentioned, Fair Play does price match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.