Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew stanley
Canada
brampton
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A copy of Martian Rails was available for our regular Monday Night Game Club, so Mark, Glen, Sean and myself set it up and started playing. Mark, Glen and I have all played 100's of crayon rail games and Sean's played quite a few of them recently with us, so we are all familiar with the game-play.
A few turns in Sean realized he had underestimated how much it would cost to reach his next destination so he changed his cards, then changed his cards, then changed his cards, then changed his cards... At this point we decided to call the first game a practice run, and start again.
Some notes about the game itself:
1) The board is very crowded, with jungles, swamps, forests and more; all of which make the cost of building more expensive than in some of the other crayon rail games. The board is a lot more colourful than others in the series. My initial reaction is that this is not a good thing.
2) The load tokens no longer have to be stickered before playing as they are already pre-printed (in colour). I'm not really impressed by the printing, but it doesn't detract from the game.
3) At first I thought the tray in the box, wasn't big enough for all the load tokens, but then I noticed that the load tokens for Green Martians and Red Martians are placed on spots on the board. It may be because there are only two tokens for each, and this makes it easier for players to see when they aren't available, but I'm not sure if it was really necessary.
4) I'm a big fan of all the crayon rail games, but one of them has to be, relatively, the "worst". Until now that one was Iron Dragon but, after a few more plays of Martian Rails, we'll see.

Back to game 2.
This time I think everyone was paying more attention to the higher costs on the board, and the game was progressing well, when the big disaster(s) hit. Glen had built track through Isher to Atmosphere Plant and was building up to Helium when he noticed it was locked out, so he just built to Mark's track outside Helium. Next turn he paid to use Mark's track and picked up Thoats and Red Martians, coming back a couple of spaces on his own track. At this point he had no money left, but 2 deliveries on board. Then it was my turn.
I made a delivery and drew a new card. It was an event card (Green Mars - South), which flooded the Alpheus, cutting Glen's track between Isher and Atmosphere Plant. Glen was now on a small piece of track with one city on it (Atmosphere Plant) with two load tokens that he had just picked up a few spaces away. His only choice at this point was to continually change his cards hoping to get a delivery to Atmosphere Plant, that might pay enough to fix the "bridge". But I still didn't have my new card, so I drew again. I drew Brain Stealers of Mars. Glen was within 3 mileposts of one of the cities drawn so he had to lose a load token. I pointed out that whichever token he chose to lose would almost certainly be on the next card he drew. But it didn't matter because I still had to draw another card. This time it was Rebels of the Red Planet and, sure enough, Glen lost his other load token.
Glen now had no money, no load tokens, and was sitting on a small piece of track with only one city on it. After a few seconds consideration we decided to move on to playing Dominion.
We will try Martian Rails again in a week or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a lousy introduction to a game. I'd be surprised if your friend Glen ever plays again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Okonski
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Martian Rails does make you provide more allowance for events than most of the other titles in the EB series. In a way I think that's an interesting difference; players just need to keep it in mind and set aside a little more cash than usual. An easy alternative some people use is to just skip past events (or remove them from the deck).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Pearce
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be perfectly honest, I gambled after changing my mind about which demand I was going to do next, and got myself hoisted on my petard. I admitted death after the first disaster hit, the other two were overkill.

Note: Not only have I played the game since this incident, I have bought a copy of it (from my wonderful friend who started this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.