Hide
6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Design Copyright for China and Japan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M Barton
msg tools
I tried looking at the Chinese website, but it is impregnable? Has anyone done this? I'm trying to specifically copyright the design of a board game. I don't think I will bother with more than that, like patents, trademarks etc. It seems overkill. I live in the UK, and I think if I copyright the design here that it is only protected in Europe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Miller
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to worry, you can count on your copyright design being re-themed, a la BANG!, no matter what you try to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both China and Japan (and Britain) have signed the Berne Convention, which means that anything copyrighted in Britain is also copyrighted in China and Japan. It also means that there's no need to register a work for it to be copyrighted. You have copyright as soon as you create a work. Of course registering it might be possible, and a good idea, for purposes of proving it.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protec... - "As soon as a work is 'fixed', that is, written or recorded on some physical medium, its author is automatically entitled to all copyrights in the work and to any derivative works, unless and until the author explicitly disclaims them or until the copyright expires. Foreign authors are given the same rights and privileges to copyrighted material as domestic authors in any country that signed the Convention."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Barton
msg tools
Sorry, I meant Registered Design Protection, not Design Copyright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Barton
msg tools
If it helps, my idea is along the lines of something I saw a few years ago. Someone made a 3-player chess board. It's like that. An old game, but the board is modified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chinese will copy it anyway, if they want to. Just like they do with everything else.

apeloverage wrote:
Both China and Japan (and Britain) have signed the Berne Convention, which means that anything copyrighted in Britain is also copyrighted in China and Japan. It also means that there's no need to register a work for it to be copyrighted. You have copyright as soon as you create a work. Of course registering it might be possible, and a good idea, for purposes of proving it.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protec... - "As soon as a work is 'fixed', that is, written or recorded on some physical medium, its author is automatically entitled to all copyrights in the work and to any derivative works, unless and until the author explicitly disclaims them or until the copyright expires. Foreign authors are given the same rights and privileges to copyrighted material as domestic authors in any country that signed the Convention."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.