the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Custom painted Dominion card box...

Wondering how to store your sleeved Dominion and Intrigue in a way that doesn't look craptastic? Have a minimal amount of talent? Don't want to splurge for the Official Dominion Card Box? Realize there isn't one?

Well now you can create your own storage solution and it's easy*!

First you'll need:
- ye olde 800 count card box available from your FLGS
- some hobby paint (and two brushes, one medium sized, one small) like acrylic Citadel paints for Warhammer minis (you'll need blue and white)
- a ruler
- a pencil and
- black Sharpie.

STEP 1 PENCIL SKETCHING
- I measured the 800 count box as around 37cm.
- Mark the halfway point as about 18.5cm using your ruler
- put a guideline about 4cm from the top and bottom, between these you'll pencil in the letters
- get your Dominion box
- notice the first I is the centre of the logo
- pencil in an approximate I at the 18.5cm mark on your box
- IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE PERFECT but you may want to sketch lightly
- Work outwards from the middle I
- it is semi-critical to evaluate your sketch after each letter to make sure you aren't deforming them too much
- then again, this isn't Shuttle engineering, you'd be surprised with what "good enough" looks like
- if you have problems with the two "O's" measure their widths, they should be the same (around 5-7cm)
- relax about the D, take it slow

STEP 2 BASE BLUE APPLICATION
- get painting with your blue!
- you are trying to get a good solid base coat of blue for the whole of each letter
- if you don't have the hands of a surgeon work slowly, put a liberal amount of paint on the brush but apply gently
- try to work the outlines and then come back in fill in the letters
- don't forget you can TURN THE BOX AROUND while working out from the middle I

- complete "mini" then start on the O's, do them consecutively so they'll "match"
- remember you just want the base, and try to duplicate the overlap
- if you did a smashing job with the sketch these painting steps are basically colouring between the lines
- something painting newbs don't do enough of is washing your brush out every few letters, try it!

- save the D for last and again, take your time!
- if you're happy, you're done!
- otherwise take a short break til the blue is dry then proceed to step 3!

STEP 3 DRYBRUSHING HIGHLIGHTS

- take a look at your Dominion box
- notice that the letters have a 3D effect done by using three shades of blue (and textures)
- the "light" on the letters appears to be coming from the upper right
- this step "drybrushes" the lighter blue shade on
- get the smaller brush
- put a very small amount of WHITE paint on it
- lightly draw on a bit of the outer highlighted parts of the middle I (this will be the righ hand side of the main letter, the top of the serif (flat parts) and the three (of four) facets on the dotted part of the letter
- see above detail
- now, USE YOUR FINGER TO SMUDGE AS YOU GO ALONG
- you may want to practice this on another piece of paper before
- the good news is if you smudge too much you can repaint the blue before proceeding, and the rest of the box is white so it should be ok

ALTERNATIVE:
- get a lighter shade of blue and just paint the highlighted parts
- again, if you mess up you just repaint the letter (and if you stray outside the outlines, paint it white!)

- here's my finger after I was done
- notice there isn't a lot of paint on it!
- pay attention to the linkage of the O's with the other letters, take your time
- let dry
- if you're happy, you're done!
- otherwise proceed to step 4!

STEP 4 OUTLINING

- look very closely at the Dominion logo again
- see that thin black outline? this step "replicates" that

- here's my painted box without the outlining, actually, I could have stopped here and been fine with it

- essentially, in this step you have two choices:
- (a) you can outline EXACTLY as the original logo does it, use a GOOD thin Sharpie marker.
- or (b) you can black outline the OPPOSITE sides and facets of the letters from the highlights (in other words we are not painting the dark parts but just cheating and outlining the parts of the letter that are on the LOWER LEFT sides, away from the imaginary upper right light source)
- I mixed things up on my box, the D and the O's are outlined all around, the rest only on one side

STEP 5 USE THE BOX
- marvel at your handiness
- you can gently erase your pencil guidelines now (I don't, I think they look cool)

- pile your cards in
- (why not use my handy card box dividers?

for Dominion: www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/45908

for Promos: www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/45923

for Intrigue: www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/45912

*- relatively easy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loi Lam
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's step 6 where you paint the rest of the box.

And step 7 where you do the same for your friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tastyfish wrote:
Where's step 6 where you paint the rest of the box.

And step 7 where you do the same for your friends?

I was going to offer tomorrow... laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't there 1000 cards in the combined sets (excluding promos)? Wouldn't that need a 1000 card box? I see that it looks like it fits, I'm just surprised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Aren't there 1000 cards in the combined sets (excluding promos)? Wouldn't that need a 1000 card box? I see that it looks like it fits, I'm just surprised.

Yes, but you only need one set of the treasure and VP cards, so that saves you on the order of a couple hundred cards. I've also found that the X card boxes usually hold X + a couple hundred more, which makes room for the sleeves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My plan is putting all the basic Treasures, Victory, trash, etc stuff in one smaller 550 count box (more painting!) then base D and DI should fit sleeved in an 800. When Seaside comes I might migrate to two 800 counts or use the 1600 vertical ones. Whatever makes sense I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably take the lazy way out and hijack a laser printer ... even if your printer only goes up to legal and not tabloid, you could get a logo across most of the box (35.56 cm = 14in according to google calc). People stuck with weird paper sizes would have to make due with a smaller one printed on A4 (29.7 cm) or find a better printer A little glue, or possibly some clear packing tape to give it a nice laminated look and protect it from abuse / wear and tear could work.

Y'know, there has to be an option for the supremely lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
I'd probably take the lazy way out and hijack a laser printer ... even if your printer only goes up to legal and not tabloid, you could get a logo across most of the box (35.56 cm = 14in according to google calc). People stuck with weird paper sizes would have to make due with a smaller one printed on A4 (29.7 cm) or find a better printer A little glue, or possibly some clear packing tape to give it a nice laminated look and protect it from abuse / wear and tear could work.

Y'know, there has to be an option for the supremely lazy.

The supremely lazy waits for the inevitable Rio Grande or third party themed box with scantily-clad, matching handmaidens. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Supremely lazy and cheap

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.