Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I'm in my first game of TNW. It's realy deep. Not so much the rules, they are straight forward, but just the range of choices. We're at the end of the first turn (I'm Russia) and I just feel like I have bumbled through. And I've been wargaming for 20 years!

I've played lots of these CDGs (card driven games) and I constantly struggle with this aspect of the games. I either focus on OPS almost exclusively or do a lot of events and not much else.

Anyway, what I'd like to see discussed it the usage of the cards. When does one use the card as an event? When as OPS? How and how much do you let the composition of your hand dictate what you will do? How much is a card or CP worth? How much is a cp worth in relation to an event?

OK, enough for now. Thanks for any discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone (1st edition developer Don Greenwood?) once said that all Events in TNW were sucker plays. Now that's overstating the case, but you really can't be spending more than a card a turn on Events and keep up in board position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Everett
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some events are truly powerful, and you will find yourself usually playing them instead of CPs/OPs. Check out "The Emperor Commands" for example. The event gives your nation a free key (one victory point) that you can never lose unless your nation is conquered.

Diplomacy cards are also very strong. Anything that can give you a pact or can break an opponent's pact will probably be played for the event. Events that let you draw more cards are also often very powerful.

Just some examples off the top of my head...

-Donald
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played TNW yet, but I've played a bunch of other CDG's from that family. No matter the game and no matter the group, we always remark afterwards that barely any events got played. So your experience sounds like par for the CDG course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I love about this is that a comment by a Mr. Bean avatar is responded to by a Washington and Napoleon avatar...classic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Events are more powerful than OPs in all CDGs I have encountered. The problem with events is that they are very specific on what they do. So if you must defend Moscow, you'll use for example Royal Wedding as OPs. If can play it, its worth 9OPs in the diplomacy track (the last 2 boxes).

Sometimes you'll see double plays in multiplayer CDGs. So Britain playing an event that helps Russia much and Russia playing an event that helps Britain much. Well perhaps Here I Stand will give you better examples, since powers are not as tightly in one camp.

Quote:
How and how much do you let the composition of your hand dictate what you will do?

Very, very much. In CDGs the hand dictates much my actions. So I might have a couple of vague plans before the card draw. Then after that I finalize my plan depending on the cards, board position and diplomacy. And usually in that order... so I look the cards first, then board and then start my diplomacy talks from those grounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrar
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You're going to use a majority of your cards for CPs. Maybe a couple will be worth playing as events (you would hope), but amazingly these events often determine how you play your hand.

If I'm the British, you better believe I'm trying to orchestrate 'Admiralty' in 1805.

If I have 'Rally', I'm looking for that bucket of dice battle.

If I have 'Scarce Forage', I'm plotting a way to get my opponent stacked up while I'm sufficiently dispersed.

The events basically allow you to bend the rules in your favor, and it's really about finding opportunities to do this (which isn't as often as you would think, w/o forethought).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The events in Wellington and Kutuzov feel more generic than TNW. Hannibal is a CDG where I feel your card draws greatly drive your strategy (although sometimes that's because you didn't get enough 3s to use your lame counsels, or sail).

Even if your opponent is likely to use events as ops, in TNW you do have to worry about neutral minors triggering certain events, so you still have that effect that adds a threat and increases variability in the game.

Stalin's War is an upcoming CDG that solves this by reducing the CP value of consecutive cards used for ops; I definitely see that being used again, perhaps even becoming a norm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.