Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Berglund
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.
With the annual(!) gaming weekend with my friends coming up I'm planning a game of TI3.
Last year we played ~3-4 turns before having to quit due to the weekend coming to a close, so at least we have tasted it, liked it, and decided to play again next (this) year.
We're usually 5 or 6 friends, but this time it looks like all 7 of us will be able to take the same weekend off (not easy to leave 6 wifes/GF's and, what, 14 kids).
So it looks like I will have to buy Shattered Empire to accomodate a 7th player.
Now the question is if TI3 is playable in it's basic form with just a 7th player added from SE, or if we need/want some of the SE rules to make it work. Apart from that we don't need no added depth or variants, just TI3 RAW.

I'm not worried by the playing time, we play as long as it's fun, then we quit and play something else.

(The rest of the year I play lighter games with my kids, so the per-play cost for TI3 and its likes are quite high. But who cares.
If I just could buy some more time...)

Magnus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should use the SE rules anyway. They make the game a lot better.
Use only the Se objectives and add in at least the Artifact planets (they can speed the game up a lot)

I personally use the new objectives but If you know the old ones then use those with Imp II.

-M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Heac0ck
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the exact decision for my first large 4+ player TI game (we had the full 8). We used the original Strat cards with the only adjustment of Imperial is only worth 1 vp. I believe that we shuffled in more empty systems from the SE expansion to get the board to the reccomended size.

We had a ball and noone dropped out or fell asleep. The beginner games seemed more fun since everyone was exploring the game and its different options. We all had time to play with the tech tree and develop some interesting bonuses to our fleets.

Have fun!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Berglund
Sweden
Upplands Vasby
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for the ├╝ber-fast responses guys.
That makes it worthwhile to buy SE for that one use...

Magnus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to play with the Expansion and just use it to get enough for more players. I actually like the base rules a LOT, though the expansion rules are fun too, and I alternate between which I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Lee Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to use the original Strategy Cards, I'd recommend at least using Trade II and Technology II as both are strictly better then the originals. This will help make trade a bigger part of the game, and it'll make it possible for players other then the Jol-Nar to acquire some of the higher techs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.