Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I'm looking for plans for a cube tower, like the one in Shogun and Wallenstein.

Anyone know how to make one of these?

I don't have any of the games with this apparatus, so I'd like to make one for a game I'm designing.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
It is similar to a dice tower, but instead of having 'baffles' at 45degree angles for the dice to bounce on as they tumble through the tower it has grids inserted at 90 degrees with cut outs so some cubes can pass through, some will get stuck and some will knock previously suck cubes out (having a funnel at the top helps).

Pictures from Shogun show what I mean:

complete tower:

View inside (from the top)

View inside (from the bottom)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Call me crazy, but why do you want to use a cube tower for a game you're designing if you don't even understand how one works?

That's kind of like saying, "I want to make a game that uses an area control mechanism.. but first, can someone explain to me how area control mechanisms work?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Miller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about you read his statement again? He said he'd like to use one and wants to know how to build one, not how the cube tower works.

Knowing about an object doesn't confer the ability to construct one. I know how an atomic bomb works, but I doubt I could construct one without someone giving me the plans.

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I just read too far into it (or not far enough).. Seems like if you understand how a cube tower works, it would be pretty self-explanatory on how to make one.. They have one or two fewer moving parts than an atomic bomb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just the complexity of making one from scratch.

I know how it works, as I want to use the tower for a game, but making one is another thing...

I was thinking of disassembling the tower from one of my friend's copy of Shogun and scan or make a 'net' or pattern of the tower and making one out of matte board or something...

But if there was already a pattern or diagram showing how to make one, that would be even easier for me.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
dedbob wrote:
Maybe I just read too far into it (or not far enough).. Seems like if you understand how a cube tower works, it would be pretty self-explanatory on how to make one.. They have one or two fewer moving parts than an atomic bomb.
A dice tower is even simpler and yet there are many post with instructions on building those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Twombly
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the key thing the OP should keep in mind is that the design of the tower has been playtested to give the desired randomness. Any attempt to construct a similar device might yield different results. According to some tests I heard about on...I want to say it was the Dice Tower, but it may have been another podcast...the Shogun "Combat Tower" gives about 3/4 chance of your cube coming through in a pour of 20 cubes, and a high probability that any trapped cube will fall out in the next drop, diminishing after that so that if you haven't seen a cube in five drops, don't expect to see it until you shake out the tower.

Shogun is a great game and you really should see how the tower interacts with gameplay. Plus, even if you build your own tower, you'll still have to get cubes from somewhere. Shogun comes with a ton of cubes in six different colors. This is no time to cheap out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Shogun many times.... but it's been a while since I've played it.

I've got a good supply of cubes from different projects that I've started.
For the game I'm created, there will be cubes in 4 different colors.

I think it was Geoff Engelstein who talked about the cube tower in his Game Science bit in the Dice Tower; it was interesting and comprehensive to say the least!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.