Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am strictly a solo wargamer and recently found out about Fields of Fire. Many of the reviews trash the rule book. I downloaded the rulebook and took a brief look. Although it seems complex, it appears well organized and annotated. Not having the actual game in front of me I cannot really be sure, but my gut feeling is that this is a very complex and realistic game depicting the rapidly evolving and ever changing situation "on the ground" compared with the pre planning of what is supposed to happen. Seems like very many details related to commands, actions and unit capabilities are modeled and the system allows and/or causes unpredictable, but realistic modifications of combat in "real time".

I have been playing B-29 Superfortress for the past month and love the real time micro detail of the game. That game has no real decision making, but is still fun. I am hoping Fields of Fire gives me that along with lots of decisions that impact results.

I hope the above general interpretation of the game is correct as I am getting very excited about getting this game in the next month or two.

Please let me know if I am right, wrong or just confused
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
radsailor wrote:
I am strictly a solo wargamer and recently found out about Fields of Fire. Many of the reviews trash the rule book. I downloaded the rulebook and took a brief look. Although it seems complex, it appears well organized and annotated. Not having the actual game in front of me I cannot really be sure, but my gut feeling is that this is a very complex and realistic game depicting the rapidly evolving and ever changing situation "on the ground" compared with the pre planning of what is supposed to happen. Seems like very many details related to commands, actions and unit capabilities are modeled and the system allows and/or causes unpredictable, but realistic modifications of combat in "real time".

I have been playing B-29 Superfortress for the past month and love the real time micro detail of the game. That game has no real decision making, but is still fun. I am hoping Fields of Fire gives me that along with lots of decisions that impact results.

I hope the above general interpretation of the game is correct as I am getting very excited about getting this game in the next month or two.

Please let me know if I am right, wrong or just confused

I have B-29 as well, which I enjoy, but it's really just a train ride with you rolling the dice to see exactly what happens. As you say, the decisions are basically turn back or continue... and very occasionally, dive to put out fire or not... and very VERY occasionally, bail out or not.

I feel that Fields of Fire gives you a lot of important decisions, is fun, and delivers a great narrative.

At least one user, cfarrell, disagrees quite strongly and has stated his reasons why.

You can read both my views on the game as well as cfarrell's well-spoken counter-point in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/431400

Also in that thread are some suggestions to get a sort of sneak peak of the game in play which will leave you wanting more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the same boat as you (even playing B-29). After reading an example of play I was even more interested. Give them a read and the game sounds easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
I am in the same boat as you (even playing B-29). After reading an example of play I was even more interested. Give them a read and the game sounds easy.
Actually the game is easy once you get the feel of what's going on. I know for myself (and I imagine alot of other players) the rules feel disorganized and at times ambiguous to their meaning. You as a player will have questions about a few things and you won't be able to find a solid answer in the rulebook.....this will happen.

I in no way want to say the designers didn't do a good job. I think they did a hell of a job. It's probably impossible to list every minute detail and event and reaction that can happen in this game.

But having said all that, This is a GREAT Game! I love this game!! I'm sitting here at work, eagerly waiting to get home and tend to my troops in the field!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Guritza
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gone through the rules many times but to truly get a feel for the game GMT does online demos of the game. It is really an online teaching game. This Sunday at 9:30 PM EST Ricky Gray (Preacher) will be using the GMT servers to do a Normandy walk through. Please check it out. It is well worth it.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/431984
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have these demos been recorded for upload so that they could be watched after the fact or rewatched to play through with the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bishop
United Kingdom
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ramkitty wrote:
Have these demos been recorded for upload so that they could be watched after the fact or rewatched to play through with the game?

I asked this a while ago and never got an answer.

Even a 'No' would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are easy to read and understand but a poor reference. If you have to look up anything during game, you are lost. An experienced gamer should be able to handle this. And you always get good answers from the community :-).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for one, I have no idea if they've been recorded or not. I do know that one of the very first ones I did (many months ago now) was recorded by a fellow. It turned out to be about 8 gigabytes I think. He has since broken it into more manageable chunks. I cannot remember right now who that was. Once CSW comes back on line I can find him again and see.

Ricky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, its still down. one can only hope they are making it useable

i think this is a good use of netmeetind desktop sharing software which allows easy recording for later streaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocD wrote:
ramkitty wrote:
Actually the game is easy once you get the feel of what's going on. I know for myself (and I imagine alot of other players) the rules feel disorganized and at times ambiguous to their meaning. You as a player will have questions about a few things and you won't be able to find a solid answer in the rulebook.....this will happen.

I in no way want to say the designers didn't do a good job. I think they did a hell of a job. It's probably impossible to list every minute detail and event and reaction that can happen in this game.

But haven't said all that, This is a GREAT Game! I love this game!! I'm sitting here at work, eagerly waiting to get home and tend to my troops in the field!!

Why wait until you get home - get the VASSAL module and email yourself the turn you left off on the night before - continue the battle as your work flow allows. I have a second set of rules and I bring whatever else I need and fight a bit during the work day... NO NEED TO WAIT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Preacher wrote:
Except for one, I have no idea if they've been recorded or not. I do know that one of the very first ones I did (many months ago now) was recorded by a fellow. It turned out to be about 8 gigabytes I think. He has since broken it into more manageable chunks. I cannot remember right now who that was. Once CSW comes back on line I can find him again and see.

Ricky

Wow - 8 GB? I have no idea how many hours of footage that entails but if it is 4 hours worth of footage 8 GB seems excessive - assuming that the footage is just a few hours then I'd say it is very likely that it could be converted into a much smaller sized format but still retain a decent amount of quality. I, uh, happen to "know" someone who has several copies of full length DVD movies at about 1/4 to 1/8 the size with surprising little loss in quality, so I know it can be done... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.