Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

At this point, I don't think "I just got laid off" announcements are a surprise to anyone. So, feel no obligation to be surprised.

Yep, I got the call last Friday (there had been warning signs for several weeks now) and, after several days, yesterday was my final day.

It's a weird feeling, buy I'm actually happy. First, the job environment had been deteriorating since January, and in the last few weeks it was no longer bearable. Second, newspapers aren't exactly thriving, and I don't see recovery in the future --so I'd rather be fired now than five years down the road.

And most importantly, my wife has been absolutely, incredibly, amazingly supportive. I think the whole thing has brought us closer than we've ever been.

As for the future... 14 years experience as a reporter-editor aren't a great curriculum these days. So I'm gonna go absolutely batshit crazy and, with the wife's full support, I'm becoming a writer.

Yeah, I have 3 finished fiction books and ideas for some others --but I've never given them any promotion. So, my job for the next months will be writing and actively trying to sell whatever I write. Novels, short stories, maybe a little freelance reporting.

My wife (who is a numbers whiz) has done her budgetary magic and it turns out that with some minor cost cutting and considering her salary, my severance and a lot of other factors, we can go 18-24 months without any income from me. So, she's graciously offered me a "grant" and given me a year to try and become a real writer. If come August 2010 I haven't made it, the time will have come to start acting my age and getting a real job again (in a, hopefully, much better economic climate).

So, that's it. It's kinda bittersweet, but I'm getting my dream and at a very low cost. The boy is happy that Daddy is gonna work at home and has solemnly swore not to intrude. He's also amazed that Daddy is going to be writing books. All things considered, getting fired could be the best thing that's happened to me. (Or, you know, the worst. We'll see. But I have trouble controlling my optimism).

That said, I'll probably look for some translating work on the side. If anyone need English-Spanish-English translations, I'm really fast and pretty cheap. I can also do French-English and Italian-English, but not the other way around. If you check my file submissions you can see some examples of my work.

Antonio.

PS. I'm also gonna be spending more time around here. The hecticness at my job had forced me to cut down on BGG (and a lot of other thing) but now I'm free!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... I started to offer consolation, but it sounds like you may be in a great situation, in a way! So, instead I'll offer congratulations on the potential change of career to writer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are given the opportunities, take it! It seems like you have been given a boon rather than a curse. Good luck on your writing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Verstraete
Belgium
Ooike
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be a bit forced upon you, but you are following your dream...

I hope you succeed, and if not you will have the experience as a bonus. But with a nickname like yours you are bound to write exciting novels and such...

Yep, my reply is full of clichés but that does not make it less true.

greetings

thomass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow your dreams! Congrats and good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manisha DS
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see you're focusing on the silver lining.
Wishing you much success in all your writing endeavors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great that you're able to focus on the opportunity!

(You might need to get a little more angsty to be a "real writer", though. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Here's the beginnings of your "I'm a Writer Now" kit:

Also, Congratulations on your new life! Sounds like you've made the "write" decision.

Puns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
So...

You are not allowed to go to a job you don't like anymore.
You get to spend more time at home with your son.
You get to do what you've always wanted to to.
Your wife is 100% behind you on this.

Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:

I think his wife won't like this part that much whistle

Good luck mate. I hope it work on this next year and you manage to hit big. But, if you become a best seller author, don't forget us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with your new career. It's good to see that you are focusing on the bright side of what has happened.

Best wishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's wishing you all the best! I congratulate you on taking a chance and pursuing your dreams, what a wonderful example for your boys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
mb

I can do no better than quote Mark Twain -

Quote:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

All the very best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
zorazen wrote:

I think his wife won't like this part that much whistle

Don't worry, they're not real. They're just part of the hallucinations that come with too much drink combined with "writer's imagination".

Antonio, that sounds like a really great opportunity and I'm happy that you can take the time to really explore it! One way or the other you'll learn a LOT! Best wishes and good luck! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Spending, or expending MORE 'time' here then? How about this as well: you offer to conduct "archival searches"-(with some nominal 'finder's fee' on this, of course) in which you dig around and uncover whatever it is that anyone would like to obtain for their projects? I know of a few people even around on BGG, of whom could certainly use these 'services' in regards for garnering better knowledge about specific topics. More often than not, then certain 'items' just aren't readily available over the "internet" system, and that is where YOU arrive unto this. As an example, then "Pete Belli" is working upon his GAME (based on an updated version from this Sushi-Jalapeńo War) and ONE aspect that I'd suggested to him on it, were concerned upon the political aspects or spectrum, within "Modern Day Mexico". Now, I don't want you getting into any sort of trouble as you conduct whatever for that, so "be careful!" Contact him and find out what, if anything, of which he is requiring on that. Also, there are occasions in which somebody has to physically sift through mounds of forms or materials, and glean from these for some pertinent information upon whatever is being sought after. That's where you'd be doing it on their behalf, and where the 'Fee' recompense fits into the situation, for your time spent searching throughout those on anything. If I can think of yet some more of which you could benefit from, then I'll only be too glad to suggest it to assist you as much that I can.
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's wishing you the very best Antonio! thumbsup

Perhaps there's something out there where you could put your writing talents and gaming interests together into something mutually enjoyable?

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome. I wish you all the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van de Voorde
Belgium
Schoonaarde (Dendermonde)
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
Have a Dikke Knuffel (A Big Hug for you non dutch speaking people :) )
badge
Stepping out on the road is a dangerous business. You have to keep your feet under you, or before you know it you'll be swept off to who knows where!
mbmbmb
GoodblankLuck

I'm looking forward to your first book, if you need test readers, I'm always willing to help out a fellow BGGer.

Best regards,
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it! And enjoy it all the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.