Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb

We will miss you Les, and your ability to rock at 94.

Nearby Waukesha, WI has a parkway named for him, and it will remain as a reminder of the legend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/432499
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
World hero? I guess I'm really out of it...I don't even know who this guy is, let alone what he's done to earn the "hero" label...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
World hero? I guess I'm really out of it...I don't even know who this guy is, let alone what he's done to earn the "hero" label...

Well, he created the solid body electric guitar. It is what effectively enabled rock music to be born. He changed the world.

If you haven't heard of Les Paul, you ought to get out more. Or at least study the history of rock and roll...

You're welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:

I am not deterred by whether or not there is another thread which ally'all created. Surely, that one will be more popular than mine. I'm used to it. (Edited for Idiotic Self-Pity Party Bits)

This is MY tribute. (Gosh, that sounds arrogant, LOL) I live in Wisconsin, and drive the Les Paul Parkway regularly. He's impacted my life and the life of musicians around me in a unique way that I hoped to share.

FYI: I posted this forum thread to get feedback on my problem with taking that personally...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/432565

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:

Well, he created the solid body electric guitar. It is what effectively enabled rock music to be born. He changed the world.

If you haven't heard of Les Paul, you ought to get out more. Or at least study the history of rock and roll...

You're welcome.

Heard of him? Sure, I've heard of him. But I was unaware of what he did specifically, and still don't see how he is a "world hero" (then again, in my book, there aren't many people who are). What else did he do, besides invent the electric guitar?

(edit) I'm not trolling. I get that some people may appreciate music and musicians such that they see a noteworthy, groundbreaking artist as a "hero". If his contributions to rock music are what qualifies him as a hero to you, then great, but I was just wondering if he was noteworthy for his extreme philanthropy, feeding the hungry, impact on ending the cold war, or whatever...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
This is MY tribute.

Got it... I am not saying yours should not exist, I'm just pointing people who visit this one to the other one which has some good comments.

AnakinOU wrote:
What else did he do, besides invent the electric guitar?

You just need to stop right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
diehard4life wrote:
This is MY tribute.

Got it... I am not saying yours should not exist, I'm just pointing people who visit this one to the other one which has some good comments.

AnakinOU wrote:

You just need to stop right there.

Thanks pronoblem. I don't always know how to take that. I appreciate the clarification, and thank you for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:

He was an extraordinary pop and jazz guitarist, one of the most in-demand in the world, during the thirties and forties. He was a featured backup performer for many of the most popular singers of the day. He and his wife Mary Ford were one of the most best-selling recording artists in the world during the early fifties, based on records made in their garage. He invented overdubbing and multiple-track recording, along with many other inventions.

Not a world hero in my book, either, but an extremely talented and multi-faceted individual. He had quite a life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He created the "LOG" out of a 4x4, with detachable wings, which was the first solid body guitar.

Rock music has changed the world. If it wasn't for Les Paul, LIVE AID wouldn't have happened, U2 wouldn't have done Bloody Sunday--and worked so diligently on peace in Northern Ireland through music, we wouldn't know who Elvis, The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Clapton, et. al. are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
(edit) If his contributions to rock music are what qualifies him as a hero to you, then great, but I was just wondering if he was noteworthy for his extreme philanthropy, feeding the hungry, impact on ending the cold war, or whatever...

To be a world hero you don't need to be a saint, philanthropist or a head of state... look at people like Henry Ford, Edison, Tesla, Eli Whitney and the like - Les Paul fits in with them (sure, Ford may have been a "great philanthropist", Les Paul was in his own right with a youth charity). Les Paul was an audio engineer who's technologies created in the 50's are used today... also, his contributions were not just to "rock music" - every style and genre was impacted - as well as films and other forms of recording. He also was a great instrumentalist... he also was a great artist.... he was also a celebrity with great charisma. He also had a career as an artist where he actively worked into his 90's.

Think about it... if it were not for Les Paul the soundtrack to your precious Star Wars films would not have been possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
AnakinOU wrote:
(edit) If his contributions to rock music are what qualifies him as a hero to you, then great, but I was just wondering if he was noteworthy for his extreme philanthropy, feeding the hungry, impact on ending the cold war, or whatever...

To be a world hero you don't need to be a saint, philanthropist or a head of state... look at people like Henry Ford, Edison, Tesla, Eli Whitney and the like - Les Paul fits in with them (sure, Ford may have been a "great philanthropist", Les Paul was in his own right with a youth charity). Les Paul was an audio engineer who's technologies created in the 50's are used today... also, his contributions were not just to "rock music" - every style and genre was impacted - as well as films and other forms of recording. He also was a great instrumentalist... he also was a great artist.... he was also a celebrity with great charisma. He also had a career as an artist where he actively worked into his 90's.

Think about it... if it were not for Les Paul the soundtrack to your precious Star Wars films would not have been possible.

HEAR HEAR!!!
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't wanna live in a world where the guy that invented the fucking electric guitar is not a hero!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
In 1975 I could have bought a like new never been gigged Gibson Les Paul Gold Top from my brother-in-law for $160.00. My wife of two years said no. Was I whipped or was I whipped?

Gotta get me a real Les Paul now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Iverson
United States
Ripon
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
In 1975 I could have bought a like new never been gigged Gibson Les Paul Gold Top from my brother-in-law for $160.00. My wife of two years said no. Was I whipped or was I whipped?

Gotta get me a real Les Paul now.

I believe you know the answer to that, for all others, yes he was whipped then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jellospike wrote:
I don't wanna live in a world where the guy that invented the fucking electric guitar is not a hero!!!

He didn't invent the electric guitar. Rickenbacker did that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
DrChek wrote:
jellospike wrote:

He didn't invent the electric guitar. Rickenbacker did that.

Les Paul invented the solid body electric guitar. As I understand it, Gibson was reluctant to put their company name on it at first for fear of alienating the traditional market, the arch top jazz players.

Rickenbacker was also America's highest scoring Ace in WW I. Maybe not THAT Rickenbacker but Les Paul is THAT Les Paul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dennis
United States
Covington
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Rickenbacker was also America's highest scoring Ace in WW I. Maybe not THAT Rickenbacker...

Eddie R. of WWI fame was cousin to Adolf R. of guitar fame.

BTW, I agree with everything being said of the importance of LP to many facets of music creation and production. Just trying to keep the facts straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.