Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rant [+] [View All]
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
But does it bother anyone else when someone posts a link to another similar thread as a reply to your thread.

I mean, not for a thread where it is information disseminating or which will clarify the issue, or even back up the intent of the post...

To me it often seems rude, like walking into my house party and inviting people to come over to the party next door because it is better.

I'm not claiming that I am the first to post about the subject, or that my geeklist will be exhaustive. It's chit chat and I would like to be treated as an individual. Wait, that's probably my mistake.

I ought to sit on the forums 24-7 and pre-check to make sure no other people have posted about subjects that I care about.

I'm not part of the inner sanctum of chit-chatter/rsp of the week fodder. I'm just me. Isn't that enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/432565
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's just you. It is the nature of the web... hyperlink. ...bringing related things together. Similarly, tags could be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmmm.... so many snarky response possibilities...

a) Make comment "Hey, that reminds me - there's a great party next door, everybody c'mon!"

b) start the first of a rash of "maybe it's me" separate threads about this same subject

c) post a link to this thread as a separate thread

Ya know, you sound down. I'll opt for

d) none of the above

and just wish you a happy weekend early! Here's a pic that always cheers me up...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
hmmmm.... so many snarky response possibilities...

a) Make comment "Hey, that reminds me - there's a great party next door, everybody c'mon!"

b) start the first of a rash of "maybe it's me" separate threads about this same subject

c) post a link to this thread as a separate thread

Ya know, you sound down. I'll opt for

d) none of the above

I wasn't hoping for a pity party (inside or out).

I wanted legit feedback, which I have appreciated. Also, humor does help, even if snarky.

The reason I used "It's probably just me" is that I KNOW THAT IT IS...

It sometimes helps to confirm what a highly self-aware person like myself already feels sure of. So thanks for that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Instead of thinking of it as people posting links to other places because they think the party is better next door...look at it this way. They're actually recognizing your post as a super great traffic grabber and are trying to drive some sliver of the voluminous amounts of traffic to their little money making thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

OK. I clicked before checking the address bar ... anyone else, or is it just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:

This is wonderful on many levels. Nicely done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your question, Christian, in the best of all worlds I think it would be more appropriate for the responder to say something like, "Here's a related thread on the subject, in case people want to see it as well ." That seems more conversational and polite. But since posting naked links is so common on this site and others, I wouldn't take it personally. It can be a bit jarring, but I don't think it's meant to be disrespectful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
"Here's a related thread on the subject, in case people want to see it as well ."

Does that need to be done with tags as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
"Here's a related thread on the subject, in case people want to see it as well ."

Does that need to be done with tags as well?

Does anyone actually look at tags? Forgive me if you spend a lot of time creating tags, but I've just never gotten them. When one of the most popular tags is "want", I question the whole system. I'm pretty sure I've never used them for anything. Then again, that might just be one of many indicators of Approaching Fogeydom on my part!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.