United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/component/content/article/51...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
It sounds like "Lisa Simpson" took HER 'inspiration' from his cohorts! thumbsupcool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit! Les Paul and Rashied on the same day?? Wish I knew it a few minutes ago. I just did my music set about jazz and would play some interstellar space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow... That's a name I haven't thought of for years.

He did good.

I saw him at a seminar once.

He refused to talk about technique. No how. Only why. When talking about songe, he spoke of emotion and dance, not notes.

Quite the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Wow... That's a name I haven't thought of for years.

He did good.

I saw him at a seminar once.

He refused to talk about technique. No how. Only why. When talking about songe, he spoke of emotion and dance, not notes.

Quite the original.

I saw Rashid Ali twice. I did go to a seminar with Andrew Cyrill once and it sound quite similar to what you described. I do love Ali's work with Coltrane but my favorite might be Touchin' On Trane which does earn the very rare 5 Star award from Penguin Jazz. The liner notes are by Brotzmann and he mentioned that Gayle was homeless for quite some time and how European jazz musicians are more respected, etc. Ali was from the end of an era in American jazz... there's still new sounds and players in Jazz, but music as a business is dominated by studio producers and big labels and less emotion and instrumentalism.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=31134l

If you want to hear someone new carrying on the tradition of Ali, Ed Blackwell and the like do check out Chris Corsano... he's might be the greatest drummer I have seen on stage, if not, tied with Han Bennink.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.