James Harrison
United States
Baytown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. I am long time lurker on this site, first time poster.

I've been wanting to get into a wargame for a while now. I started contemplating warhammer, but eventually bought warmachine figs, but now that I see at-43, I want to play it. On a whim, I bought an army box that has not arrived yet.

Here is the deal.

My friends do not play tabletop games, so there is no way they would go out and buy an army. Is it possible to split up the army box into two small armies to play with just so I can initiate myself with the rules? As it is, I have too many hobbies and I can't afford to buy much more at the moment.

Also, one more thing. I am a competitive street fighter player, and have been for many years. So I have no problem walking in to an arcade and playing with complete strangers and things like that.

But game stores scare the crap out of me. I don't know what it is. Is this normal? Is there some sort of etiquette I need to follow or anything like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jubeh wrote:
My friends do not play tabletop games, so there is no way they would go out and buy an army. Is it possible to split up the army box into two small armies to play with just so I can initiate myself with the rules? As it is, I have too many hobbies and I can't afford to buy much more at the moment.
Not sure which army box you bought but if it is the newer ones, I think they come with 2000 points and you should be able to split them up into two forces. You can start small with 500 points each side. Those games will go fast once you know the rules. Then work your way up to 1000 points a side. Hopefully by then they will buy their own armies.

Quote:
Also, one more thing. I am a competitive street fighter player, and have been for many years. So I have no problem walking in to an arcade and playing with complete strangers and things like that.

But game stores scare the crap out of me. I don't know what it is. Is this normal? Is there some sort of etiquette I need to follow or anything like that?
I've been in stores where the clientele and/or the employees were fairly repulsive (personality and/or hygiene wise) but never scary. If you frequent a store just bring the figures. Have two armies already picked out and see if people are interested in learning/playing the game with you. Or, ask the owner if you can do a demo once you know the rules pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Harrison
United States
Baytown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. I will just suck it up and go to one.

I got the red blok army box, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E r i c k N. B o u c h a r d
Canada
Stoneham
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For casual gamers, a wargame such as AT-43 might not be the most easy thing to get into. Perhaps the Op. Damocles box set, with 2 partial armies, might have been more what you're looking for.

It is possible to play with 2 people with simply the Red Blok box. However, you can't split the units even : AT-43 plays by full units, not individuals like WH40K. So you could honestly play in all fairness only by taking out the 2 vehicles and the Dragonov kommando team, and having each side only having a single Krasny Soldaty Unit. Alternatively, you could try taking out the Dotch Yaga, then having Urod on one side and everybody else on the other. Or perhaps everybody against the Dotch Yaga.

To be honest, the Red Blok vehicles (AFVs) are so tough that most infantry can't wound them at all. The Dragonovs, likewise, are among the RB's best units overall. Don't consider just the army point value; one set of 6 dragonovs is worth 12 krasnye soldaty anytime. And the dotch yaga, alone, can probably destroy every other unit in the box, except Urod, who'se a regenerating monster with 2 wounds back every turn.

Try this army designer for a try :
http://rcommunity.nazgulworld.com/

And you might want to check the official AT-43 board for advice. Beware, though, that several players in the english language forum are very harsh and unwelcoming to new players. I strongly suggest going towards the french one, if you can read french of course. (www.at-43.com)

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Robinson
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jubeh wrote:

Is it possible to split up the army box into two small armies to play with just so I can initiate myself with the rules?

The army box does not contain a full set of rules. I am not certain how detailed the rules summary you get with the army box truly is. You can buy the rulebook separately (online about $10). However, I would suggest you pick up the Operation Damocles starter box. It comes with two small forces, some nice terrain, and a basic set of rules. This would do a better job giving you the overview of the game. You can get this online for about $25.

jubeh wrote:

I am with you. No matter how friendly the staff at game stores I've been to are, I always feel like I am crashing their party.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Robinson
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silenceindigo wrote:

And you might want to check the official AT-43 board for advice. Beware, though, that several players in the english language forum are very harsh and unwelcoming to new players. I strongly suggest going towards the french one, if you can read french of course. (www.at-43.com)

Unfortunately, what Erick is stating in regards to the English forum is very true. Often times, you are berated for asking questions that interrupt their sarcastic banter. Don't let that disuade you from giving a great game a try though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Beckett Schreiber
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One way that might make things easy with getting into AT-43 at a game store and dealing with the English forum, is to post a question there asking if a sentinel is in your area that can show you how to play.

If so, then you have an in with someone who actively wants to play/promote the game, and can bounce questions off of without getting attacked for being new on the forum.

Regarding playing with a friend - you could always look to picking up a single unit box from another faction and use that to play them against each other. Unfortunately, the army box really only works for one player, so that could be a little tough... unless you're willing to proxy, in which case those Privateer Press figs might work as AFVs (warjacks) and the infantry as Red Blok.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Barkå
Sweden
Solna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think people are exaggerating the unfriendliness of the official english forum. Yes, there have been a few "incidents" but in most cases even the most basic questions will get answered quick and friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jin choung
United States
Glendale
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think you're making the right move with at-43 as an initiation.

i got some 40k stuff but it has a lot of emphasis on the modeling/painting and i want more gaming.

as it pertains to that, all the figs for at-43 are pre-painted AND all the units have little reference cards so you don't have to constantly be flipping around books and this is something that i was thinking would be a good idea for 40k.

anyhoo, i'm right in your position. i'm waiting for my kit in the mail too but i started out with the operation damocles set - precisely because i don't have gamer pals and i'll want to try out some dry runs with two armies... which od comes with (albeit a small contingent).

anyhoo luck and have fun.

jin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.