War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions regarding Combat Strength and Combat modifiers. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, about combat strength. If my opponent has 10 units in a territory and he attacks me, I play the Brave Stand combat card that reduces his combat strength by 1 for every Companion I have in my defending army, and I have Aragorn and Legolas, how many dice does he roll? We've always played it that he rolls 3 dice. Should he still be rolling 5?

Also, if a combat card gives you a +1 bonus to the Combat roll, are we correct in playing that this does NOT give you a +1 bonus to the Leader re-roll? I am assuming this based on the fact that Servant of the Secret Fire combat card gives +1 to Combat roll and Leader re-roll.

Lastly, do either Treebeard or Galadriel count as Companions? I think Treebeard doesn't, but I'm not too sure about Galadriel.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
First off, about combat strength. If my opponent has 10 units in a territory and he attacks me, I play the Brave Stand combat card that reduces his combat strength by 1 for every Companion I have in my defending army, and I have Aragorn and Legolas, how many dice does he roll? We've always played it that he rolls 3 dice. Should he still be rolling 5?

You played correctly. Combat strength is never higher than 5. So if there are 10 units in an army, combat strength is still only 5. (This is also the maximum number of dice.) Any condition that lowers combat strength lowers this number (for instance from 5 to 3 dice).

Quote:
Also, if a combat card gives you a +1 bonus to the Combat roll, are we correct in playing that this does NOT give you a +1 bonus to the Leader re-roll? I am assuming this based on the fact that Servant of the Secret Fire combat card gives +1 to Combat roll and Leader re-roll.

Yes, the distinction between the different combat phases is quite strict. Unless specified on the card, bonuses for the combat roll do not apply to the leader re-roll or vice versa.

Quote:
Lastly, do either Treebeard or Galadriel count as Companions? I think Treebeard doesn't, but I'm not too sure about Galadriel.

I believe you are now talking about the BotTA expansion rules. In that case you are probably right. The rules for the expansion clearly state that "Lady Galadriel is considered a Level 3 Companion for all Combat card effects". There is no 'companion remark' for Treebeard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rnijholt wrote:
Quote:

You played correctly. Combat strength is never higher than 5. So if there are 10 units in an army, combat strength is still only 5. (This is also the maximum number of dice.) Any condition that lowers combat strength lowers this number (for instance from 5 to 3 dice).

That is incorrect.
Combat strength is equal to the number of army units in an army. The '5' cap is on dice rolled.
Therefore, in the above case, the Sauron player should still roll 5 dice.

This would have been different if the Combat Card reduces dice rolled, instead of combat strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
azuredarkness wrote:
This would have been different if the Combat Card reduces dice rolled, instead of combat strength.

You mean like the Brave Stand card :

"Play only if a Companion is in the battle.

The Shadow Player rolls one Combat die less for every Companion present (to a minimum of one)."

(guessing OP mis-wrote its effect)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
azuredarkness wrote:

You mean like the Brave Stand card ;) :

"Play only if a Companion is in the battle.

The Shadow Player rolls one Combat die less for every Companion present (to a minimum of one)."

(guessing OP mis-wrote its effect)

Ahh. So combat strength is determined and then Brave Stand will reduce that.

In short, any combat card that reduces the dice roll of the opponent, will reduce it, unless it is countered, or it's requirements are not met, correct?

What about leadership? Say I forfeit 3 leadership for an ability, and I have 4 nazghul and the Balrog there, do I still get 4 re-rolls, assuming I missed with 4 combat dice? Or is it applied in the same way as combat strength?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kookoobah wrote:
What about leadership? Say I forfeit 3 leadership for an ability, and I have 4 nazghul and the Balrog there, do I still get 4 re-rolls, assuming I missed with 4 combat dice? Or is it applied in the same way as combat strength?

Don't have the expansion, so don't know what the Balrog packs, but let's say you have 4 Nazgul and you play Cruel as Death:

"Add 1 to all dice on your Combat roll. Before your Leader re-roll subtract 2 from your Leadership."

You would have 2 Leadership for Leader Re-roll, even if you rolled 5 dice in the Combat Roll and missed with all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
kookoobah wrote:

Don't have the expansion, so don't know what the Balrog packs, but let's say you have 4 Nazgul and you play Cruel as Death:

"Add 1 to all dice on your Combat roll. Before your Leader re-roll subtract 2 from your Leadership."

You would have 2 Leadership for Leader Re-roll, even if you rolled 5 dice in the Combat Roll and missed with all.

Ahh. Let me make my question simpler:

What if I have 10 leadership, I forfeit 2 leadership for Cruel as Death, if I rolled 5 dice and missed with 5 dice, do I re-roll 5 or 3? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ, page 5:

"Q. Can I play a combat card that reduces my Leadership with
two and still have five re-rolls if I have five Nazgûl and the
Witch-King (a total of 7 Leadership) leading an army?
A. Yes. The number of Leader re-rolls is calculated after any
Combat cards have been played and since the Leadership in your
question is 5 (7-2), you would still have five re-rolls after
reducing the Leadership with two."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear on the question of Combat Strength versus Combat Dice, Combat Strength is not limited, but Combat Dice are. Anything that affects an Army's Combat Strength, such as a Combat card effect or a Character's special ability, is added to or subtracted from that Strength before the limit of five is applied to figure Combat Dice. Anything that affects an Army's Combat Dice is subtracted from those Dice after the limit of five is applied.

For example, if an Army with Combat Strength 10 has a Combat card played against it that reduces its Combat Strength by 1, it will still roll 5 dice (Combat Strength = 9, Combat Dice = 5 maximum). If that same Army has a Combat card played against it that reduces its Combat Dice by 1, it will roll 4 dice (5 maximum reduced by 1).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:
Just to be clear on the question of Combat Strength versus Combat Dice, Combat Strength is not limited, but Combat Dice are. Anything that affects an Army's Combat Strength, such as a Combat card effect or a Character's special ability, is added to or subtracted from that Strength before the limit of five is applied to figure Combat Dice. Anything that affects an Army's Combat Dice is subtracted from those Dice after the limit of five is applied.

For example, if an Army with Combat Strength 10 has a Combat card played against it that reduces its Combat Strength by 1, it will still roll 5 dice (Combat Strength = 9, Combat Dice = 5 maximum). If that same Army has a Combat card played against it that reduces its Combat Dice by 1, it will roll 4 dice (5 maximum reduced by 1).

Is there such a fine line between leadership and leadership re-rolls also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krieghund wrote:

Is there such a fine line between leadership and leadership re-rolls also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.