Popular Tags: [View All]
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for this game are atrocious. First of all, the word "dice" is used for a single die in all but one cases. There are many rules inadequacies, as well.

The gameboard is 100 spaces going back and forth up the gameboard and two large "higher than" and "lower than" spaces where cards will go. There are 100 cards featuring items to be bought and sold. On the back sides of these cards is a list showing the prices of the item in each of 10 years used in the game. Some years don't have prices. The item didn't exist then. (Nothing is in the rules about what to do when you get a null result from one of these cards.) There are two dice in the game, a regular d6 and a d10 listing years 50 to 95 (1900s, of course.)

The year die is rolled at the start of the game to set the starting year to be played. This is the year to look at when determining prices in the game. Each player receives some money and 4 cards. One card goes onto each of the two card spaces on the gameboard. The rest are placed, script-side-down, by the gameboard. On a turn, a player rolls the d6 and moves that many spaces. This can be difficult, remembering which direction you're travelling. Just look for the arrow on either side of the gameboard. There are many (too many) numbered spaces where nothing is done. Well, I *think* nothing is done on these squares as nothing is listed in the rules about them. If you land on or pass ROLL, you roll the year die to set a new year. Landing on ROLL exactly gets you 100L. (British game, so we use pounds.)

Landing on BUY means that you roll the d6 again and MAY buy that many cards from the top of the item pile at the price listed for the current year on the year die. The rules seem to suggest that you flip cards one at a time and choose whether or not to buy each one as the price is shown. If a card is flipped that can't be afforded, the card goes to the bottom of the deck and the turn is over. What isn't in the rules is what happens when you decide not to buy a card. Does your turn end just like when you can't afford a card or do you get to flip more?

When you land on SELL, you reroll the d6 and may sell that many cards from your hand to the bank at the price for the current year on the year die.

If you land on GUESS THE TOTAL, each player places one card from hand illustration side up in front of him (or her) and each player, starting to the player left of you, guesses the total price of all of the items for the year on the year die. The player who is closest without going over wins all of the cards. Missing from the rules - what if all players go over? What if a player has no cards in hand?

If someone lands on SHOP UP TO, another player will flip the top item card. If the current value (based on year die) is less than the value listed on the gameboard square, he may have the player flip more cards until the acting player wants to stop or the card(s) flip exceed the gameboard square value. If he exceeds the gameboard value, he loses all of the cards. If he stops while still under the gameboard value, he keeps all cards flipped for free. I don't know whether or not you add the values of each card flipped or not. I believe that you do, but it is not clear from the rules.

HIGHER THAN/LOWER THAN: Landing here, you lay down a card from hand (if you have one) that is higher than or lower than the card on the appropriate space on the gameboard. If you're right, you get both cards. Otherwise, you lose the card you played to the bottom of the deck along with the card that was on the gameboard. In either case, a new card will be placed on the card space on the gameboard.

When one player reaches the final square, the game is over and players add up their monies. The player who ended the game rolls the year die one last time. All players lose monies equal to the cards remaining in their hands. The highest final total wins.

I've never seen the show that this game is based on. Perhaps some of the vagueness would be cleared up by watching the show. The game has too much randomness in it to win by using much strategy. There aren't enough SELL spaces to actually make some money. There are times when you need to intentionally get things wrong just to lose cards so that they won't count against you at game's end.

I want to like this game. I will play it again. I love game shows and I don't mind random games too much. But, it won't be for everyone here. Also, many would be bothered by the money in the game. Only the oval in the center differentiates each denomination. You must spread the money out quite a bit to see what each bill is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kr├╝ger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Dice" is correct. See http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dice

May be British English only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jighm Brown
United States
Rossville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Thanks for the line. It may just be a British thing as both games that I bought yesterday were British and both used "dice" as a singular word. A lot of older American games do that, too.

Jighm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarifications !! I have the later edition of THIS version of this game ( I have many many Price is right Games!!) and for the life of me before I get it to the table at least ONCE for shits and giggles-- I could make hide nor hair of this rule at the end of rolling the year die one more time and losing some value -- I think I have it now.. thank you !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.