Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there,
the overlord (his avatar is the sorceror king, the witch lord? I'm afraid I don't know the English name) in our RtL campaign sent one of his lieutenants to Dawnsmoor to raze it to the ground. As we are in a very early stage of our campaign, do you think Dawnsmoor is expendable? I don't think any of our heroes has one of the skill cards you can acquire there, is one of those essential?
Generally what cities have to be protected at all costs (apart from Tamalir of course)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ger Lam
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
i am sorry to disappoint you, but there is no answer to your question for several reasons.

First: You didn't tell us which expansions are in use. So telling you that "taunt" can be a good skill won't do you any good if well of darkness is not taking part in your campaign.

Second: Skills wanted or needed depend VERY heavily upon which characters you have. Not every melee character can make the same good use of the same skills. While there ARE a few all-time favorites, in general it still holds true that the fineprint depends on the party composition.

Third: The city closest to the overlords keep will fall early. It's not that you should automatically assume it is expendable, just don't calculate with it standing for a long time no matter what you do.

Fourth: What plot is the overlord following? Obsidian Shackles has some plot cards related to razing, and Ascension will mean he razes indiscriminatingly.

Fifth: It also depends on the overlord...see point 3. Against the demon avatar, holding nerekhal will be utopic, for example. In case of the sorcerer King, it may be a good idea to try and draw the line at Tamalir, engaging any leutnants that move north. All 3 legendary dungeons and an opportunity for secret training are north of tamalir...try and keep riverwatch alive for occasional market trips(potions!) and engage all leutnants at or north of tamalir unless the game phase just changed. Thats the only piece of general advice i can offer right now without further information. Dawnsmoor WILL fall, and most likely, so will Vynelvale. Riverwatch will probably fall later unless you manage to kill leutnants... so if you decide you need something from those cities, get it as long as you can and try to keep the north protected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronlokk wrote:
Hi there,
the overlord (his avatar is the sorceror king, the witch lord? I'm afraid I don't know the English name) in our RtL campaign sent one of his lieutenants to Dawnsmoor to raze it to the ground. As we are in a very early stage of our campaign, do you think Dawnsmoor is expendable? I don't think any of our heroes has one of the skill cards you can acquire there, is one of those essential?
Generally what cities have to be protected at all costs (apart from Tamalir of course)?

I don't think any city is entirely indispensable (apart from Tamalir of course)

Skill importance varies according to party makeup - both the heroes, the skills they already have and the style of play.

The most important skills in general would be
Acrobat - for a runner character, unless you have Fly. In Gold level there is an item that give Fly anyway.
Wind Pact - crucial against Lts once the OL gets some treachery and all round useful the rest of the time.
Leadership - probably the best skill in the game for flexibility and all round use. Resting, dodging runners, Guards, sooo good.
Spiritwalker - so the Mage can really cover everything, not to mention while staying out of the front line.
Rapid Fire - gets obscene with a fatigue upgrade or two
Quick Casting - get that mage in operation. Great because it can be used with Guard for two attacks in the OL's turn, among other things.
Taunt - if you have one super-armoured dude, and a not-too clever OL.
Boggs - especially if you are facing a humanoid based OL.

Of these Acrobat and Taunt are both in Dawnsmoor IIRC.
Taunt should only go on a 16/2 or better tank, preferably a slow one that can also wear the heaviest armours. It combines best with Unmoveable (maybe) and Enduring (if Nanok) - so not really with much.
Acrobat should only go on a fast runner, preferably low CT value. It combines brilliantly with Tiger Tattoo and Swift.

But any skill that you need and miss out on can be recovered from the Silver Legendary dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MordredofFairy wrote:

First: You didn't tell us which expansions are in use. So telling you that "taunt" can be a good skill won't do you any good if well of darkness is not taking part in your campaign.

Well of darkness and altar of despair are in play. Tomb of ice is not available in German yet.
MordredofFairy wrote:

Second: Skills wanted or needed depend VERY heavily upon which characters you have. Not every melee character can make the same good use of the same skills. While there ARE a few all-time favorites, in general it still holds true that the fineprint depends on the party composition.

Our party includes Lord Hawthorne, Kirga, Runemaster Thorne (? the one with the ability to teleport) and Spiritspeaker Mok (? the orc tat makes the OL spend an additional threat for every overlord card he plays).
MordredofFairy wrote:

Fourth: What plot is the overlord following? Obsidian Shackles has some plot cards related to razing, and Ascension will mean he razes indiscriminatingly.

I think it is called Eternal night(?). The OL has to find three scrolls and then bring a sunstone to a certain place on the Terrinoth map.
MordredofFairy wrote:

Fifth: It also depends on the overlord...see point 3.

The OL is the sorceror king, I just didn't know his correct English name.

Thanks a lot for your fast and detailed reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't Taunt removed with the lastest FAQ? And ToI did not introduce any skills, so city razing won't make a difference if you have ToI or not.

We were in similar straights, and while we tried to save the town, we didn't make it in time. Oh well, you have to figure on some towns falling no matter how well you protect them. Just adapt and move ahead.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Bowden
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Dawnsmoor is expendable. Forge has skills that are just as good if you need to buff your warriors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Wasn't Taunt removed with the lastest FAQ? And ToI did not introduce any skills, so city razing won't make a difference if you have ToI or not.

We were in similar straights, and while we tried to save the town, we didn't make it in time. Oh well, you have to figure on some towns falling no matter how well you protect them. Just adapt and move ahead.

-shnar

No, you are thinking of Bear Tattoo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon_Slave wrote:
Dawnsmoor is expendable. Forge has skills that are just as good if you need to buff your warriors.

Forge?
Wizardry: None
Subterfuge: Ambidextrous, Cautious, Master Archer, Skilled
Fighting: Enduring, Relentless, Tough, Unmovable

Enduring - useless except on Nanok
Relentless - minor
Tough - nice, but also available at any secret master
Unmoveable - excellent in combination with Knight/BattleCry, or with a Spiritwalker (or hero with extra MP, say Glyr or Elven Boots), but otherwise fairly average. Battle shouldn't be that common once the campaign is mid-late bronze as most attacks one shot every-not-boss-thing and AoE attaks or multiple attacks (Rapid Fire, Cleaving, Quick Casting etc) are fairly common. Heroes should mostly be moving forward at all times.
Master Archer - nice, but with the nerfing of Gauntlts of Power, surges are of lesser use for Archers.
Skilled - nice, but also available at any Secret Master
Cautious - good skill
Ambidextrous - minor skill, ok if you have a double wielder but even then not that great.

Given one city to voluntarily concede, Forge would be in my top two 10 times out of 10. Only Nerekhall comes close to be as useless - skill wise at least.

Acrobat by comparison is a skill beyond price, worth all the Forge skills put together (well, nearly).
And Taunt, though not always an A grade skill, is certainly a very, very good one in the right circumstances. Certainly more often than not better than anything at Forge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.