Lock 'n Load Tactical: Day of Heroes» Forums » General

Subject: Win or Lose Situation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing this game a few times it seems that the Somali forces are kind of weak. There must be some kind of strategy for the Somali units they could use to play havoc on the American units.
Somali Technicals seem to have a short life span.
Somali units must pass a MC to enter melee and with many FP 0 units, it may not be worth it.
Hitting anything with a RPG (no target acquisition) is extremely difficult, unless you shoot at moving enemy units in the street or you happen to be adjacent to them.
Any suggestions on how to get the most out of the Somali units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't try and use the Somalis like a 'fire-and-maneuver' force. They are just not that good to mess with the Americans.

They are scrappers - they have to hit US units after they have moved, hit US units in the open, or swarm a lone US unit.

Once the US starts to move, think of the militia as roadblocks and try and block and channel the US movement.

If you look over the victory conditions and turn limits, using this strategy can very well derail the US since ins omce cases losing just one unit and a SW can really crimp US plans. Additionally if you can slow them down (militia-as-roadblock plan) you can force the US into making some possibly rash and hasty decisions since many scenarios have few turns and the US has to cross lots of city to get to crash sites, etc...

So as the Somali, embrace your inferiority! Once you figure out how to live on the edges you really can win many of these scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, I will try and implement them the next time I play. I guess I was just too aggressive when it came to shoot outs and in the long run it was my downfall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried the same.

As the Somalis try and get a decent squad with an RPG or MG into one of the better buildings and make that a strongpoint to try and force the US to attack it or move past it. You should be able to get a decent shot on them as they do.

In general, for movement, I don't think I move much when I'm close to the Americans. I try and get settled into decent positions and only fire at targets that have moved - that way the US has to spot you to fire and it should give you good terrain modifiers. Once you are settled, let the mobs and (hopefully quick arriving) reinforcements be an annoyance.

I think I posted on another thread the importance of maximizing the mobs. They are great. They are either VP generators for the Somalis when the US tries to force them away, or they can act as cover and shuttles to hide Somali squads in. Use them to their utmost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the scenarios I've played " The Alamo" its seems like you have no choice but to move with the Somalis to either capture the objectives or eliminate the American units. Once the American Ah-6 appears, it's pretty difficult to capture points with the Somalis. The best I've been able to do was eliminate 1 MMC and almost capture 1 of the objectives (failed due to not passing a MC to enter into melee with a shaken American unit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Atack
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I didn't say my strategies worked in every scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it's worth a try just the same, the way things are going at the moment the Americans are walking all over me with their firepower and helicopters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Panikowski
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played all of the scenarios as the Somali side and stated before you have to force the Americans to move into the open to have a any chance with the Somali poor fire power. Try to keep in the best cover as possible. Also, you must avoid the Americans superior firepower, and great Melee abilities. A tough task for the Somali player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.