Joshua Gardner
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
Bah da da da da da da... da da da da da da da... DAH dah DAH!
badge
Gabriel Knight. Check it out at GOG.Com
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it interesting how vanilla BSG was designed in such a way that all the major spoilers in the game are covered in the Miniseries. Sure, some of the crisis cards may have referenced future events in Season 1, but the four "You Are a Cylon" cards had pictures of known Cylons by the end of the miniseries. It's almost like the intention was to please fans, and peak the interest of non-fans.

Count me among them. My interest was subsequently peaked, and I've just finished season 1 on DVD.

I posted originally that I was concerned about the Pegasus Expansion being too bewildering for non-fans. Now I have to add that it should not be played by casual fans. I talked about the optional New Caprica end game "spoiling" season 3, but I can't begin to tell you how angry I was after I read Dee's negative ability. After reading it, I had to seek out why she has this, and I find it references an end of series event.

There's really no point in putting up spoiler tags any more. Fantasy Flight has decided the entire series if fair game. A very different decision from their carefully concealed info they were presenting in the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bruns
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I knew our game group was going to play BG so I watched the miniseries prior to playing it.

I am now on disc 3 of season 1 - Looks like I need to finish the whole tv series prior to playing the expansion. I'll just set the shrink wrapped game on top of the tv for motivation to get finished quickly.

Better get watching.......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
bullseyetm wrote:
After reading it, I had to seek out why she has this

No you didn't. That's where you went wrong...

Is FFG supposed to put a big SPOILER ribbon across the box? I don't understand how they could produce expansions for this game, or even the base game to begin with, and expect everyone to be on the same page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest recommendation for those that love the show is to avoid playing the game altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
My biggest recommendation for those that love the show is to avoid playing the game altogether.

Ignore him. he apparently has a crummy gaming group.

Anyway, I am ecstatic that FFG threw in a series end spoiler on Dee, after all the grief i caught on here about "giving away a spoiler" from season THREE. I have been saying that spoiler tags were pointless now anyway, since the WHOLE FRAKKIN' SERIES is on dvd and blu-ray now. So, i am sorry if you haven't seen the show yet. you really need to, as it is tremendous from start to finish. But, be advised... spoilers don't exist anymore. now they are common knowledge/pop culture references. I won't go out of my way to randomly give away some detail for reason other than to give it away, but, if a "spoiler" comes up in a normal discussion of the game, i am sorry, but it is what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:

Huh? You mean, if they haven't seen the whole series yet? I think the game is a perfect compliment to the show, but anyway...

One thing I'll concede is that perhaps they might have held Dee back for the next expansion, where the timing of her detriment would have been more in line with the series timeline. Inasmuch as that's what you're griping about, then yeah, you have a point, I suppose.

Still, the designer/publisher can't possibly create this kind of game and hope to keep it within everyone's different understanding of the events in the series. Many people playing the game have never seen the show (I hadn't the first few times I played), so everything will be spoiled for them should they choose to watch at some point. But the whole series is over and now available to buy or rent on DVD, so everything should be fair game, really. Any themed game, especially based on a popular license, will give away a lot of things... there has to be the assumption that people already know the license and the story behind the license, thus the interest in the game. Of course, that's not always the case and this game in particular has general appeal, at least in the hobby gaming world, but still...

Bottom line is, I'd rather important details pertaining to the show be included in the game when possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:

Gotta join the others and disagree with this statement heartily. I'm a huge fan of the show, and think the board game is great. It really captures the feel of the first (and second?) season, and is lots of fun to boot.

I can understand why people might be disappointed by "spoilers", but my advice is to ask first. We were into the third season when I picked up the game, and I posted on the forum to see if there were any spoilers before I opened the game. Then again, I'm a stickler for that, as I hate to learn any information in advance (from reviews, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
his comment is explained in this thread.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/431414

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
ejcarter wrote:

Even though I thumbed your post, I have to say that when it comes to non co-op games, it's a great group. And even the last Shadows Over Camelot session I was part of went quite well. But, yes, it could be accurately said that I have issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:
ejcarter wrote:

Even though I thumbed your post, I have to say that when it comes to non co-op games, it's a great group. And even the last Shadows Over Camelot session I was part of went quite well. But, yes, it could be accurately said that I have issues.

As long as your group doesn't discuss things that there are disagreements on, its a ton of fun. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas London
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Ive seen all of the series, but my roommate is only to season 3, and the other members of my group havent even seen the miniseries...I'll have to play dumb with my roomie and say "I have no idea why she has that......."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
... But, yes, it could be accurately said that I have issues.

Hah! That just made me laugh out loud! Nice avatar too, btw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my humble opinion, I believe the series went downhill after 3.5 . I felt the the show was at its best during seasons 1 and 2 (1 being my favorite) and then a lot of silly things happened. The one spoiler you mentioned is one of them. I'm not going to list the spoiler here, but I want to make a quick comment that I'm going to mark spoiler just to be safe.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
When the writers made the decision to do this, they somehow (and I think rather stupidly) felt that it was a big shocking decision. When in fact, we are really not given any motivation to cause this to happen. Some might argue that the problems that occur throughout the series brought apart this decision, but I highly protest. I thought it was pretty stupid and unjustified.

So at any rate, you certainly will get a tinsy bit of spoiler here and there, hopefully nothing too dramatic (after what you've already figured out) and hopefully you'll be able to play it without worrying about super spoilers. It might definitely be a good idea to watch the show though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bullseyetm wrote:
Count me among them. My interest was subsequently peaked, and I've just finished season 1 on DVD.

Did you pique at season 2 yet?

Although doing that all in one sitting can leave one peeked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoilers aren't a big deal in my opinion. When they did the huge build up in the last season ("One will be revealed!" I'm not telling who.) I could really have cared less who the last cylon was (especially since some of them just seemed completely arbitrary).

I was more interested in seeing how the characters dealt with situations, interacted with one another. It may just be a personal thing but I've always thought character development was more interesting than plot. You can give me something with a predictable, even boring, plot. If the characters are interesting and memorable, I will still enjoy it.

It wouldn't really be possible for it to be spoiled for me. Even if someone had told me "Oh XXX is a cylon," it wouldn't have mattered that I know that. I'm still interested to see what kind of impact that has and what its significance is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Lauber
United States
Osage City
Kansas
flag msg tools
hockeyjedi wrote:
ejcarter wrote:

Wow. Usually people need to know me, oh, at least for three minutes before they decide I'm a crummy gamer. You appear to have me nailed by osmosis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
leslauber wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:
ejcarter wrote:

Wow. Usually people need to know me, oh, at least for three minutes before they decide I'm a crummy gamer. You appear to have me nailed by osmosis!

Way to go, hockeyjedi... you've gone and insulted the only guy on the planet that can make Ghandi seem like a real bastard by comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not saying Les is a crummy gamer... just that it might be a bad idea for a BSG show fan to play the BSG game with a group that obviously disliked the last half of the series and talks about their dislikes a lot. enough to make a fan of the show and the game not want to recommend the game to others any more..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Carlton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so bummed after playing Tide of Iron and finding out the Germans lost! It spoiled history completely for me.

Damn you FFG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.