Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the pleasure of being both GM and a finalist in Goa at WBC this year, and I wanted to report the results. I've filed my complete report with BPA, so you'll be able to read more about overall tournament statistics and trends in a month or two when all the after-action reports are released. Here is an excerpt, detailing the final table:

"The final table featured three former champions and a high-scoring, formidable contender. In the early game, Chris Moffa advanced evenly while Chris Trimmer used his first turn plantations (double-ginger and double-cinnamon) to push quickly down the ship-building track. Aran Warszawski went for early cards but did not draw very well, at one point having to discard two cards before drawing two others. Alex Bove failed twice on colonies in the first round and fell behind.

Chris Moffa used his two Phase B tiles (Espionage and Vice King) to advance the ship-building track to the bottom and three other tracks to level 4. Chris Trimmer’s decision to buy two tiles in the first auction and pay to advance his colonist track in Round 2 caused him to have to use actions for money (he was the only player to take a tax action) and may have cost him time he needed to catch up to the leaders by game’s end. Aran’s bad card draws and lack of extra actions (he only bought the flag once) also cost him dearly. Alex’s purchase of six extra actions (three from the flag) helped him overcome a third failure at colonization to edge Chris Moffa by two points, 51-49. On the strength of 6 VP from two tiles (Duty and Mission), Chris Trimmer finished 3rd with 44 points. Aran’s unlucky draws continued to the end, with five expedition cards scoring him only 8 VP to give him a total of 39.

Alex becomes the first two-time Goa winner in the event’s six-year history at WBC."

It was weird writing about myself in the third person, but I suppose this is what GMs sometimes have to do.

Thanks to everyone who came to play (our attendance was up to 38 this year, a modest increase), and special thanks to Pete Staab and Rod Spade, both of whom helped me navigate the first-heat, first time GM chaos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
montu wrote:
Chris Moffa used his two Phase B tiles (Espionage and Vice King) to advance the ship-building track to the bottom and three other tracks to level 4.

How is this possible? The Vice King advances your least-developed track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He used Vice King for one of the 4-level advances (he'd already advanced every track to level 3). Then, IIRC, he used Espionage to get spices to go with the boats he already had for the final boat-track advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.