Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the "minimum of 1 influence token" only in effect when decreasing influence due to a stronghold losing influence or a chain being broken? Or are you always allowed to place 1 even if the stronghold has 0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO it is only if the chain is broken. You need influence in the stronghold for it to start its initial spreading. After all, the minimum of 1 is ONLY mentioned in the part about breaking chains of Inluence. The earlier part about Sauron placing it sets the rules for the Stronghold needing as many as you want to place in one spot on the chain...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
Is the "minimum of 1 influence token" only in effect when decreasing influence due to a stronghold losing influence or a chain being broken? Or are you always allowed to place 1 even if the stronghold has 0?

It is possible that a characer could be in a Stronghold during the Rally Step and all influence there would be gone. All areas in extension would go down to one influence. Sauron would then need to place at least 1 influence back in the Stronghold on his turn to continue extending. As long as the Stronghold contains no influence, no extending influence could be placed.

I'm not sure this answers your question as I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Does this help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstax wrote:
ekted wrote:

It is possible that a characer could be in a Stronghold during the Rally Step and all influence there would be gone. All areas in extension would go down to one influence. Sauron would then need to place at least 1 influence back in the Stronghold on his turn to continue extending. As long as the Stronghold contains no influence, no extending influence could be placed.

I'm not sure this answers your question as I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Does this help?

The Hero Rally step doesn't work in strongholds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Eppelein
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Grimstax wrote:
ekted wrote:

The Hero Rally step doesn't work in strongholds.

And thats why? Can`t find it in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shabear wrote:

Page 11: THE HERO RALLY STEP: "In this step, each hero discards all influence tokens from his current location (as long as he is not in a Shadow Stronghold)."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is any possible way to get a stronghold down to zero influence. Heroes can't get rid of it during the Rally step, none of Sauron's plots or shadow cards require him to "spend" it.
The only possibility I can think of is event cards that allow Heroes to remove influence from a region. I know there are some for places like Rohan, but I doubt there are any for Mordor, Brown Lands, or Grey Mountains (where strongholds are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Eppelein
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
shabear wrote:

Page 11: THE HERO RALLY STEP: "In this step, each hero discards all influence tokens from his current location (as long as he is not in a Shadow Stronghold)."

Upps. Thank you. This step is so much straightforward (that`s what I thought whistle ), that I entirely missed the page 11 part and just looked on page 10 ("Discard all ifluence tokens from each hero`s location")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
I don't think there is any possible way to get a stronghold down to zero influence. Heroes can't get rid of it during the Rally step, none of Sauron's plots or shadow cards require him to "spend" it.
The only possibility I can think of is event cards that allow Heroes to remove influence from a region. I know there are some for places like Rohan, but I doubt there are any for Mordor, Brown Lands, or Grey Mountains (where strongholds are).

There are some that work on "adjacent locations", and Gundabad and Dol Guldur are adjacent to space in other regions. I also recall a card that forked me (as Sauron) in Mordor -- embarrassing to have to rebuild influence in Barad-dur...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question. There does not seem to be anything forbidding you from placing influence on a space even if there is no influence in the connected stronghold. The rules do say that when you extend influence, there needs to be a chain back to a stronghold, so that is explicit.

However, the only rule about needing influence in the stronghold seems to be that if you ever have more influence in a space than is in a connected stronghold, you need to discard it, down to a minimum of 1. The literal interpretation of these rules is that you can add 1 influence to a space in the chain, and it will stay there even if the stronghold has none.

The question is, is this the intent of the designers, or are the rules just badly worded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Eden
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But a stronghold cannot have zero influence. All starting plots place at least 2 influence in each stronghold, and there is no mechanism to remove it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that makes it simple then. I've just read the rules in prep for my first play on Friday. However, the example on page 17 of the rules has Barad-dur starting with only 1 influence on it. Maybe the example is an impossible situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From above:

me wrote:
There are some [event cards] that work on "adjacent locations", and Gundabad and Dol Guldur are adjacent to spaces in other regions. I also recall a card that forked me (as Sauron) in Mordor -- embarrassing to have to rebuild influence in Barad-dur...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MEQ Rules pg 16 wrote:
Placing Influence on Locations
When Sauron places influence on a location with a “Place
Influence” action, he must place it in extension of his Shadow
Strongholds.

You can't play influence unless it is in an extension of a Stronghold. An area containing influence that has been cut off from a Stronghold is not an extension, so you can't play influence there, or in adjacent locations.

Corey Konieczka wrote:
Rule Question:

Do encounter cards such as "The Beornings Ask for Help" that state "You may [...] remove all influence and monster tokens within 1 space of your location" allow a hero to remove all influence from a Shadow Stronghold?

Thanks!

Answer:

NO. Heroes may never remove influence from a shadow stronghold unless specifically instructed to.

See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/436217/high-pass-encount...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.