Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Henshaw
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some one asked my opinion of this game and I wrote most of this elsewhere on the 'Geek but figured I'd post it here where more could see it.
The components are great, but this is more about first impressions of game play.
There is a lot here to think about in this game, I mean A LOT.
I set up Lewes and dealt the cards out (12 to one side, 11 to the other), then started the game. I had no idea what a good move was, let alone a bad move. You start with a ton of decision branches.
I have 12 cards in my hand, I can use 0-5. Do I move a lot of units with multiple cards? If so, which cards? Some of actions I'll need and some have high battle bonuses, I'm sure to need those. What if my opponent slow plays his cards? Will he crush me in a battle if I run out of cards?
If I do move close and can only get in one battle, where will it be? Where can I get 2:1 odds or better? How many card do I commit? How many will he commit?
You get the picture. I'm sure once it has been played, experience will narrow down these choices and whittle out the really bad moves, but still there is a lot of flexibility in this game, which, of course, puts you in a position of choosing a path from many.
The game is lighter, but the decision points are many. It puts the game in a special place. Easy to learn the mechanics, but hard to figure out what to do that will help you win. This could overwhelm a certain type of player, but many will relish the depths of what looked like a simple game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Townsend
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good write-up. It makes me that much more excited to get my copy, which I am still waiting on. I think all the decisions to be made, will make the game that much more interesting and the replay value will be very high. It's kind of like puzzle but better because with the card play, no two games will ever be the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Dabros
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice overview Scott, thanks. This just came in the mail and I look forward to trying it out, maybe this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ripley
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott - helpful. This is going on my wish list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.