Subject: Reasons (stupid or otherwise) to pick or not to pick a character. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
As a fan of the BSG, my decision of who to play is largely based on who I like from the show. I may be in the vast minority here, but mechanics barely enter into it except for two things: You have to play by the rules when picking character type, and I don't like any of the folks who get three loyalty cards, because I don't like having to be a Cylon.

Helo, for example, is my favorite character on the show, I'd never take any other unless he was unavailable.
On the other hand, I don't like looking at Zarek's face, so I try not to play him.

So, just for fun, I'd love to hear your reasons (stupid or otherwise) to pick or not to pick a character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Grace Park is hot.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played a few games, so I try to pick characters in each of the different categories so I can get flavor of what each does. I didn't like playing Colonel Tigh so much. Probably because I didn't understand how to play him. I guiltily admit to picking Boomer more than once just because I like looking at her picture during the game. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
saxophone wrote:
I guiltily admit to picking Boomer more than once just because I like looking at her picture during the game. blush

See? Grace Park is hot.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also pick Boomer for the above-mentioned reason. I also like that her every turn and once-per game abilities are super powerful, and that she gets an extra loyalty card. Being a Cylon is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lindsay-Levine
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also tend to pick characters I liked from the TV show, which ends me up with Adama and Zarek a lot.

Another reason to pick a character is because I want to be Admiral or I want to be President, which also ends me up with Adama and Zarek a lot.

I see a lot of people pick Baltar because they've never been a Cylon and want to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally Boomer so I can be a Cylon (maybe it'll happen one day), and her drawback is an interesting conundrum.

Oh, and, Grace Park is Hot...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomason
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having never seen the show until just recently (now 4 episodes into season 2) the first time I played I picked Bill Adama as I liked the actor...

Since then I usually pick based on the abilities... I like Starbuck for the extra action, I picked Baltar knowing I would be the only politician and thought his detector would be useful while Roslin's discard penalty would be a problem... I've been Helo because his abilities are nice and his penalty is minor, if you're the first or second player.

Mostly, I try to pick based on what I think will complement or balance other players, assuming I'm not one of the first to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Baltar for Cylon purposes.

2. Otherwise, whoever has the best abilities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I'm weird and crave variety, I try to pick a new character every time.

I figure by the time I've done the whole set, I'll have the Pegasus expansion, and a lot of new options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My choices are ever evolving.....

1) At first.... whoever I haven't played yet. For my 1st 9 games (or so?), I've choosen a unique character each time. I was missing Apollo for my 10th game, so I had to squeeze him in for my 12th game. Or did I?

2) Being a pilot was fun.... shooting up stuff.

3) If all pilots were taken, I would take Helo to get around the character selection rules limit (afterall, he's a Military Leader who can pilot a ship, not an actual Pilot by category)

4) There was much fun in politics, so that began that phase of picking Political Leaders

5) found launching scouts and playing SPs to be powerful and decisive, so the Military Leaders were choosen since they offered most of Tactics cards.

7) friend printed out some of the other characters here on BGG. I choose among the remaining, and got to play as Anders and Kendra.

6) Now, I just don't have any preferences anymore.

NOTEs:
Some people pick Boomer/Baltar and hope to be human. Apparently, they enjoy that kind of challenge.

People like Tigh and Baltar and kind of feel wasted when you never get a chance to use their 1-time specials. With the former, there's no reason for the pres. to switch hands. You like where it is or wouldn't want to make yourself pradmiral. With the latter, both cylons reveal before the sleeper phase.

I have heard some here on BGG that they use Cally (unofficial variant character composed of here on BGG along with many others) since she is much more pleasant to look at then many others in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone else is playing Apollo. I like to take Zarek so I can remind them that I'm the REAL Apollo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Roberts
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I try and have Tigh every time. I only choose him so I can do my favourite line from the show:

"I'm not that man anymore, Bill"

Sad, but absolutely true. At first I only sounded 1% like Colonel Tigh. Now, after dozens of plays and lots of practice at home, I sound 8% like him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
I like playing Baltar as it makes the game much more tense for me, as I'm always trying to come up with every possible reason why I'm not a Cylon (even of course when I'm one). I keep pleading, telling how much I'm helping all the time, accusing other people and so on. Baltar was one of my favorite characters in the show and he is undoubtedly thematic and fun to play in the game.

I also like Saul Tigh because if I play him, I make it my duty in the game to track and find the Cylon players as quickly as possible, which can really help the humans. He was also one of my favorites in the show.

I don't think I'll have that much fun by "roleplaying" Starbuck, Apollo or Boomer so I tend not to go with the pilot characters.

Another reason why I don't like pilot characters is of course my unbelievable luck (or lack thereof) which will make a maximum firepower useless or make it so that I have to spend five turns to just take down ONE raider.

Then again, I noticed this was a problem too when I'm president, as it seems that my speeches never raise morale...soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Beukema
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever Tigh face appears on a skill card, or if one of us is playing Tigh, there are a lot of "aaaah, Bill"s flying around.

Apparently I like piloting, as I've been Starbuck twice, Apollo twice, and Helo once. Helo was fun, as I ended up getting to be Admiral Cylon Helo. In my first ever game, as Starbuck, I got to say, in true Kara Thrace fashion and in all sincerity, "I've got better things to do than rot in the brig! You need me out there in a Viper."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
flag msg tools
Boomer, cuz Grace Park is hot. And I like being a cylon.

If someone gets Boomer before me, then Tigh or Zarek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually pick Adama, since I'm a Leo, and I LIKE to be "in charge".

I'm usually the "Mr. Motivator" of our group anyway, and I seem to instantly fall into Captain mode anyway. Plus, my group will NEVER use the nukes until it's too late.

I'll have to try Helena Cain when the expansion comes out, even though I think the character is a selfish psychopath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeCat X wrote:

I'll have to try Helena Cain when the expansion comes out, even though I think the character is a selfish psychopath.
But if that helps you win games, then to some, enough said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim D
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first ten times, I took a different character every time. I just wanted to play them all once at least. And I managed it without even having to ask someone else not to pick a character.

The two times I played since then, I considered which character would be most fun to play considering the number of players and the characters already chosen.

These are the things that would go through my head when picking a character next time.
- Starbuck is less fun in a large group because her positive comes out less often. (if you launch during your turn, the fleet might have jumped before it's your turn again - unless someone ExO's you into space just before your turn, but then they need to trust you.)
- Apollo's positive on the contrary gets better with more players.
- Zareks negative gets worse with a lot of players, and his positive gets better with small playgroups.
- If baltar (most likely to be cylon) gets picked and will probably be president, I like to take tigh to steal his presidency away.
- The chief gets better with more players and with lesser pilots ... more time between his turns means more chance of something getting broken ... and less evasive maneuvers means more broken vipers.
- helo's negative gets worse when picking him in 6th position in a 6 player game ...
- adama's negative is bad in a 3 player. If the cylon brigs or arrests the other human, you cannot even brig the cylon.

So for me no "I like this or that character in the show" .. only changing as much as possible and game mechanics count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Werner
United States
Braidwood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
We always do a random pick for characters... we roll a die, whoever gets highest roll picks first and so on. First pick gets absolutely anything randomly(military, political, pilot or support). Second draws until they get a different category(if first player got military, then 2nd has to draw until a political, pilot or support comes up). Beyond the 4th player you get to keep whatever you draw. This way we get everything covered for a balanced game AND it still gets to be random, which I always find to be most fun.

We have tried totally random before... it has never gone well, for humans that is. Like no pilots... or no real military leader... the one three player game we had of Roslin, Baltar, and Zarek, hilarious as it was, it was also reason enough to give up total random picking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played a lot so have started doing it completely randomly.

Though when I choose, I usually try to pick someone I hadn't been for a while, Helo and Apollo are probably my favourites, though Helo is more fun when he gets to be Admiral.

I would choose Roslin if Baltar has been picked just to prevent Baltar from being President.....

If I choose Boomer it is mainly because she does not get XOs, makes you have fun being selfish no matter which side you are on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I would hate to do it randomly and get Helo as a late pick.

Our group tends to pick on one of two principles: the "character is hot" principle is very popular (so Boomer, Helo, Baltar, Apollo and Starbuck are in as many games as they can be), and the "want to be Admiral/President" principle is next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who picks Baltar every game in hopes of being a Cylon, and she's been human four games in a row.

I like military leaders the best: admiral is fun and their card draws fit my play style well. I try to avoid being a pilot in a big game, you generally don't see enough action to make it worth it and piloting cards aren't very useful (too risky spiking red as a cylon, not enough checks that require them as a human). Other than that, I try to aim for characters I haven't played in a while. The hawtness doesn't matter to my decision at all, although it does seem to be a suspiciously common factor for our female players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like being Saul Tigh, because he's my favorite character.

I hate being a pilot, because I find it kind of boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sullivan
Ireland
flag msg tools
I have played two games so far, both three player, and chosen Baltar each time in hope of the opportunity to engage in some Cylon mischief. Both times I have been human and both times his once-per-game ability has made play much less interesting following the sleeper phase, as he can identify the Cylon player immediately. I don't think I would use him again in three player... his ability is too powerful (though it must be said, the humans lost both times).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.