Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Opponent moves a unit. I do an op fire as he enters a hex in which he has other units. I add a crossfire. Do his innocent units in the hex also suffer from the +2 due to crossfire, even though they weren't moving? We are at an impasse...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Crossfire says to add +2 when firing at a Moving target. (emphasis added)

The +2 would ONLY apply to the moving target. Remember, never add or infer anything other than what is written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:

The +2 would ONLY apply to the moving target. Remember, never add or infer anything other than what is written.

Totally wrong. He's firing at the moving target, so he can play the card, so he gets the +2 bonus to his firepower.

You always apply the same fire result to every target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
scoutmom wrote:

Totally wrong. He's firing at the moving target, so he can play the card, so he gets the +2 bonus to his firepower.

You always apply the same fire result to every target.

Yes, he can play the card - I never said he couldn't, but why would you add the +2 firepower to the unit already in the hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, another impasse! Anyone else want to chime in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
Yes, he can play the card - I never said he couldn't, but why would you add the +2 firepower to the unit already in the hex?

Because there's only one fire total for each attack, not different totals for different units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Results of the attack apply to all units in the hex. It's a common danger of moving through your own units. EX: the moving squad breaks in the hex with the other squad, you find yourself overstacked at the end of your turn and lose a half squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
scoutmom wrote:

Because there's only one fire total for each attack, not different totals for different units.

D'oh! Brain freeze here! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
David has it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
David has it right.

The way I remember this rule is I look at targets as HEXES, not UNITS.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
scoutmom wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
scoutmom wrote:

D'oh! Brain freeze here! blush

Scoutmom, welcome to the "Answer quickly, enthusiastically and WRONGLY" Club! I'm not just a member, I'm the President! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help all. It appears we have a majority interpreting the application of the rules as I was.

So to summarize:

Opponent moves a unit.
That unit enters a hex with a unit and a leader of his.

I declare an Op Fire.

Since his unit was moving, I can legally play crossfire.

The effect of crossfire is to +2 to my firepower.

I make my attack roll, adding 2 for crossfire, and ALL units in the target hex, including those that were not moving, must now make a defense roll against the pumped up attack, since the entire hex suffers a single fire total and not separate totals.

Key Points:

A. The 'moving target' wording on the card simply applies to when its legal to play the card.

B. The 'effect' of the card is to add 2 to a fire attack, but the effect is not specific to the unit in (A) above, and will apply to anything in the target hex, moving or not.

C. Be careful when moving units, its dangerous business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tarheel wrote:
Thanks for the help all. It appears we have a majority interpreting the application of the rules as I was.

More important than the majority opinion, you have the designer confirmation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hehehe...I didn't pay attention closely enough to who had answered. I'd say that Chad did pretty well seal the deal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.