Subject: GenCon updates? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Bailey
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
... Rock 'em roll 'em all night long, I'm a ...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, did anyone demo this at GenCon yet? I'm chomping at the bit to hear what others think. I know I speak for myself and a few friends when I say I can't wait to hear how this plays, and am really pulling for it to be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Kaplan
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yes - picked up a copy at GenCon. We only played a few turns, but it plays relatively straightforward (strategy game not a tactics game.)

Production quality is in line with other Twilight Creations products - nice that the minis for the 6 outfits are different sculpts and not just different colors. Randomizable setup of the board with a secret order system (that manages your actions and initiative.) Each outfit has unique abilities (spells, raise dead, arrest, confiscate, fight, etc) with specific initiatives for each (tracked on their game screen.) You effectively need to use your "dudes" to deal with encounters on the board (NPCs) to rob them, arrest them, recruit them, etc to give you more tactical options, collect "ghost rock" and achieve objectives (unique to each outfit.)

Cannot give you my full impression until we complete a game, but so far as a strategy game it looks compelling due to the random setup of the board and encounters, Outfits that play different and have different objectives, and the secret order and initiative system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Weber
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also like that each faction has a somewhat different spread of actions.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but ate up the rules and cards as soon as I had a moment during the show. Cracked it open again last night at home to reread it all in anticipation of some High Noon antics this weekend, can't wait to get my pals to play.

Congrats, TC, looks like a winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played about 4-5 rounds at GenCon on Saturday. It was interesting, but nothing I was super-excited about.

I was a little disappointed in that of the 4 "factions" we played, only one was truly a faction in the Deadlands sense ("The Agency"). The other 3 were Shamans, Blessed, and Hucksters. I think a little more thought could have been given to use factions from the setting (like "The Whatleys") instead....

The secret movement was a lot like Mall of Horror, except all your pieces move, not one. There's a bit of dice rolling, which would probably put off some.

I think the demo suffered because I really didn't know what I was trying to do (ultimate goal) and the goal cards weren't mentioned until the last round (so they didn't mean much up until that point).

Anyway, as a HUGE fan of Deadlands, I'd say the game was so-so. If you're not that into the setting, you'll probably think the game is okay....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Breitenstein
United States
Campbell County
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John,
I am sorry that you were disappointed with the demo. I would like to correct you on a few points though.

The factions we chose are directly from the role-playing game. The factions you are speaking of are from the ccg, Doomtown. Trust me, we have been fans of Deadlands since its inception. We have played the rpg, the ccg, the miniatures game, the disk game, and all of the spin-offs Deadlands has generated. Kerry was the first Doomtown world champ. I placed second in the first Range Wars (minis) National championship. We know Deadlands!

As for the goal cards, they are actually objectives. The "goal" of the game is to collect the most victory points. Achieving "objectives" actually yields victory points and some give your faction an extra bonus as well.

I really hope you will give the game another chance. Actually, if you haven't played the rpg, I suggest you seek that out too. It's awesome! It's now part of "Savage Worlds" line from Pinnacle Entertainment Group. We are really thrilled with the new game.

In fact, at GenCon virtually everyone who bought/demoed it had nothing but good things to say. Most wanted to know how soon the first expansion was due. Even Shane Hensley, the creator of Deadlands, and everyone else at Pinnacle said they couldn't be happier with it. We think we have done ourselves and Deadlands proud!
Regards,
Todd
Twilight Creations, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that The Agency and the Texas Rangers are factions, but hucksters, blessed, shaman, mad scientists, and shaolin are character archetypes in the rpg (edges with skills, etc., associated with them). I just picked some familiar factions from the CCG/Range Wars because that's what I expected to see when I saw The Agency and Texas Rangers. I can understand if creative license was necessary to fit the game (e.g. the ability to cast hexes, miracles, etc.) mechanics and I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I'm quite a fan of the setting myself, and own almost all the Deadlands books, all of the Deadlands: HOE and Lost Colony Books, thousands of Doomtown CCG cards, tons of Range Wars, and almost all of the Savage World books. As a huge fan, I just felt I should comment.

I will probably buy the game, mostly because I tend to buy all the Deadlands licensed stuff as it is, and I'm sure I'll play it some more once I've had time to digest the rules myself and appreciate it.

Finally, thanks for taking time to respond to my comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Hamill
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Are the different faction sculpts in different colors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but the sculpts are reasonably distinguishable after looking at them a little while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Hamill
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.