Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played our first game today. All new players. Full game of 5. IT seemed like the only way to get things sold was to put them all at a price of 1 and hope someone buys from you.... Then put it all at 2 and hope someone picks you.

If someone keeps selling at 1, why would anyone buy at 2?

I was thinking maybe we overproduced...

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you think the price on your sales is too low, and everyone else is charging the same amount, why aren't you buying?

There's four ways to make 'money' in the game: selling goods from your factory, warehouses, or ship, and buying goods on the island. Do whichever one makes you the most money.

And yes, if you have things sitting on your factory at one, why are you making more goods? It's unclear what the though process was in your group.

Finally, investing in more than two factories early is probably a mistake, as is shipping lots that are too big for people to bid on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If factory goods are selling at $1 ea, then that market is saturated. Find an under-served market and move on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I was thinking maybe we overproduced...

Any thoughts?

Did you make the same errors my group did when we played? Missing that there is a limit to how much an individual can produce from each of their factories. We hadn't seen the limit of twice as many crates as machines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did not make a machine storage error.

We all had about 3 factories and were all selling for $1 to get others to buy our goods. Then we would have to sell for $2 in order to sell. It was all up to luck as to whether anyone would buy from any of us since we were all at the same prices.

I definitely want to try again and not create any factories and see if that helps a bit... there was just no way anyone would increase the price, because there was always plenty at 1 and everyone was starving for money.

It is very likely just because all of us were first timers and were sloppy at the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
England
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question remains: why not just run your ship, if warehouse goods are so cheap? That'll either solve the oversupply problem or you'll win.

If everyone has three factories at least everyone/2 has made a mistake, I think. Why build so many factories if they're not profitable, given that the goods they produce are only "worth" $1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one had money, so running the ships still did not yield much at auction.

We all spent so much on the machines/warehouses that we were all broke : ).

I'm definitely going to try again next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worth it to try again. Spending too much on factories will kill the economy, making it hard to make any money because you have to have money in the system to make money, or even to get more money into the system. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What went wrong was that you played some rule wrong. For example, were you having someone pay $1 in order to produce goods?

I played this wrong the first 3 times I played it. Each time we fixed one wrong rule, and still had something wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we paid 1 to profuce goods. I am pretty sure we played with all rules correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If everyone's producing and selling at $1, and storing at $2, then just move your ship around and sell the goods at the islands. The fixed values for the containers will make players bid rationally and the simultaneous competition for the set will probably drive the bids up, making you the winner of the game (while everyone squeezes in $1 profits, you'll manage larger ones due to the government incentives)

Or you could try the expansion, that limits pricing according to infra-structure. It's good to use it when everyone is inexperienced, keeps the game from turning stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Keiner
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to give it another try.
It seems, that everybody did not want to do any mistakes and so everybody did the same moves. And THAT is a mistake.
Did you use the "beginner-variant" with the domestic sale? (Rules 4.2)
If not, you should next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nowadays, whenever I teach the game to new players, I make sure to explicitly mention the myriad ways to remove money from the economy along with the only way to add it to the economy. While we still sometimes get players that try to undercut everyone else on selling from their factory store and warehouses by pricing at the minimum (and even the worst offender is slowly learning to up his prices sometimes), we don't kill our economy any more.

Another play or two will reveal more fully just how the economy in this game works.

Edit: Oh yeah, and if everyone just prices everything at the bottom, ship as much as you can. You won't get much money at first, but you'll get far more than those who aren't, plus you'll be driving the economy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aye, and we didn't use the beginner variant. Maybe we should.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
shadow9d9 wrote:
Aye, and we didn't use the beginner variant. Maybe we should.

I wouldn't. It adds nothing but encouragement to Do The Wrong Thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.