Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing more Seafarers of Catan recently and have noticed that some maps just seem to play better with 3 or 4 players. I have my own opinions, but I wanted to see what fellow geeks thought. I know that last year someone posted a similar poll here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/321860, but that poll is over a year old though and asked a different question.

I have included both 3rd Edition and 4th Edition Scenarios. Thanks to robartin for uploading the 3rd Edition Scenarios in the file section.
Poll
12. For the 3rd edition of Seafarers, how many players do you prefer for each map?
  4 Players 3 Players No Preference I Do Not Like This Map
New Shores (III/IV)
The Four Islands (III)
The Four Islands (IV)
Oceans (III)
Oceans (IV)
Into the Dessert (III)
Into the Dessert (IV)
A New World (III)
A New World (IV)
The Great Crossing (IV)
Greater Catan (IV)
13. For the 4th edition of Seafarers, how many players do you prefer for each map?
  4 Players 3 Players No Preference I Do Not Like This Map
Heading for New Shores
The Four Islands
The Fog Island
Through the Desert
The Forgotten Tribes
Cloth for Catan
The Pirate Islands
The Wonders of Catan
New World
      4 answers
Poll created by mst3k4L

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right. But I haven't payed close enough attention to the 3 vs. 4 player difference. Pirate Islands is definately better with all four -- It just seems wrong if all four settlements on the shore are not being used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Chung
United States
San Bruno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh What? Mayfair's 4e does not include any 3-player maps. They are all 4-player maps. Similarly, Mayfair's 4e extension does not include any 5-player maps (they are all 6-player).

The only 3- or 5-player specific stuff is in The Pirate Islands, which is just simply "remove one color".

The German 2008 version reintroduced 3-player maps for New Shores, 4 Islands, Oceania (formerly The Fog Island), and Through the Desert; there are still no 5-player maps in the German 2008 editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because a map is set up to accommodate 4 players does not mean it plays better with 4 players. The regular Settlers board can easily accommodate 4 players, but some people prefer to play with 3 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4L wrote:
Just because a map is set up to accommodate 4 players does not mean it plays better with 4 players. The regular Settlers board can easily accommodate 4 players, but some people prefer to play with 3 players.
I've seen a case where we played a 5p game of Settlers Of Nurnburg (it's 3to4p range). Worked out adequately I might add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelvSYC wrote:
Huh What? Mayfair's 4e does not include any 3-player maps. They are all 4-player maps. Similarly, Mayfair's 4e extension does not include any 5-player maps (they are all 6-player).

Huh What? I got the Mayfair Seafarers for Christmas. The scenarios listed under the 4e poll match my instruction booklet, so I have to assume I'm playing 4e. In that booklet, the rules for 3- and 4-player maps are the same (with some minor differences, mostly for variable setup), but for all scenarios except New World (the DIY scenario) and maybe Pirate Islands, both a 3p and 4p map layout are provided; the 3p map is almost always smaller and always has less landmass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4L wrote:

+1. The tactics change greatly between 3 and 4 players. With 3, there's more liebensraum on the basic Settlers map, so unless the most desireable spaces are concentrated in one place, it's hard to get blocked in. The game is easier to succeed in, a bit more friendly (sometimes), and thus a bit more enjoyable casually. By contrast, you run out of room to sprawl pretty quickly in the 4p game, which forces you to use every available tool to gain VPs, particularly the Dev Cards. 4p games with my normal groups get pretty cutthroat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.