John Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
Since the 'being a fan' option appeared and being fairly new to BGG I've wondered what it really means in the BGG world. It doesn't appear to have any stat value although I think it should. Being a fan shows to me how passionate you are about playing a game (enjoyment, repeat playability, theme and so on). For brevity lets look at the BGG top 15 currently and see who the fans really are:

Agricola 677
Puerto Rico 363
Power Grid 363
Twighlight Struggle 199
Through the Ages 205
Dominion 593
Le Havre 234
Tigris and Euphrates 154
El Grande 98
Dominion Intrigue 143
Caylus 171
Race for the Galaxy 439
Brass 137
Age of Steam 108
Princes of Florence 57

If we rate by fandom we get a completely different mix. Add some examples like 23.Pandemic (337); 35.Small World (348); 43.Settlers of Catan (265); 54.Ticket to Ride (141); 60.Carcassonne (274); 96.Citadels (100) and last but not least at 280.Tales of the Arabian Nights (67).

The 'being a fan' options does seem to diminish by overall ranking BUT correlation to rate voting shows that some games of lesser note could be right up there IF there was a stat assigned to it because as a game ages it falls out of favour by voting. Ultimately does this really matter? I'd like to think so.

Is this a tool that can be used by designers and sellers to target the right market perhaps?

Your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I've 'got' the MOST for any, so the remainder of YOU 'schlubs' are "poseurs"! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
This "fan" business is just some strange facebook tie-in as far as I understand it. I don't interpret it as having any interesting significance about the worth or popularity of a game, nor would I assume that the subset of BGG users who also are into facebook is representative of BGG users as a whole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shortall
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
So it's really a bit of a waste of space then?zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
jshortall wrote:
So it's really a bit of a waste of space then?zombie
well, YES! for those of YOU that were so woefully BEHIND that you'd never compare with the GREATEST! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.