Alex
United States
Monroe
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On Thursday night, our group of gamers here at GenCon played BSG with the Pegasus board as our only addition from the expansion. Friday night, we felt comfortable enough with the rules to attempt the New Caprica destination. I'll admit, we weren't entirely sure what was going to happen when we actually got to New Caprica, but we were confident enough in our skills as gamers to figure it out. And away we go...

Tamela - Starbuck
Colin - Tyrol
Tony - "Commander" Adama
Steph - Roslin
Myself - Cain
Jeff - Apollo

Our adventure to New Caprica started off slowly, with Cylon reinforcements attempting to bring in Boarding Parties quickly. Also, early on we found skill checks being interfered with, specifically one that had 2 Engineering and 1 Piloting card counting against it. Of course, I knew I wasn't the Cylon, but we was immediately suspicious of Tyrol, Apollo and Starbuck. Insert many conspiracy theories, finger pointing and accusations of being a Cylon here. Thanks to the massive firepower of Pegasus and some solid dice rolling, we were able to take out much of the Cylon fleet (and raise some morale thanks to a new skill card that gives +1 morale when a Basestar is destroyed). The Cylons were able to take out 2 civvie ships, though, losing 3 population.

Through a Crisis, "Commander" Adama checked the skill card of Apollo's, and declared him a human, which was good enough for me. Roslin, through a Quorum card (or a Crisis, honestly don't remember which ), was able to check Starbuck's Loyalty card and declared her a human as well, which left Tyrol as the obvious suspect. However, since it was Tyrol's turn, he decided to avoid the unpleasant experience of being airlocked and revealed his true colors, at the beginning of the 2nd round of turns, Talk about early revealing!

The fleet jumped to the Tylium Planet and to the Cylon Refinery, ensuring that the level of fuel was remaining high. Crises were passed, with little impact from our Cylon friend. Morale was high, and our food situation was pretty solid. In fact, everything was in the blue when we passed the Crisis card that adds to the destination (the name escapes me now). Enter the Sleeper Agent phase, where "Commander" Adama had a change of heart and started Sympathizing with the enemy, since all our resources were in blue. Tyrol, following new rules for Cylon players, passed his new Loyalty card to me...turning me into a Cylon. So much for having faith in the officers of the fleet.

Here's where things get funny. I became a Cylon just before my turn. The human players fully expected me to reveal, and I said that if I was a Cylon, it'd be stupid for me not to reveal, and since I wasn't revealing, I obviously wasn't a Cylon. How's that for twisted logic...but it worked and I was able to convince Roslin and Apollo that I wasn't a Cylon, so they (knowing that they were humans) immediately were convinced that poor Starbuck was the new Cylon. So, I (Cain) went to the Admiral's Quarters, went to throw Starbuck in the brig, but I dumped in all of my Skill cards to pass the Skill Check by 10+, allowing me to execute (!!!) Starbuck immediately. The look of pure shock on the human's faces when Starbuck revealed that she actually was human was priceless. Needless to say, the humans didn't waste any time chucking Cain out the airlock the very next turn, which was alright since I had already slaughtered the best pilot in the fleet.

With three revealed Cylons working against the humans, things started going sour very quickly. Treachery cards started to fly, causing basestars to find Galactica and for Sabotage to occur. Skill checks were failed, resources began dropping, then the Cylon fleet found the humans and started attacking. With the help of 2 Super Crisis cards, a massive Cylon fleet jumped in, causing serious damage to Galactica and spreading the remaining players very thin as they attempted to deal with the firefight. Not helping was my Super Crisis fleet deployment sent the jump prep track back to the beginning. Pegasus definitely helped during the fray, although was not as effective. However, the Cylon gunners must have been getting a software upgrade that day, because I couldn't not roll a 4+ to give Galactica the last damage token for the life of me. Eventually, though, the Cylon fleet was able to cause enough damage to destroy poor Galactica. Cylon victory!

Impressions - BSG Pegasus's firepower definitely helped out again, taking out key basestars or clearing areas of space of raiders. Even though there's the risk of damaging civilian ships or the Pegasus, it's mitigated by the huge gains you get when your guns connect. I'd love to be able to tell you about the New Caprica phase, but we didn't exactly make it there. Damn, maybe next time.

Not sure if we're going to play again tonight, but if we do, expect a session report sometime on Monday, as the wife and I are leaving early for the 11+ hour drive back to New Jersey. To all reading this - if you're not at GenCon, try your best to come next year. Trust me, it's worth it!

- Rosey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morgan
United Kingdom
Grays
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame you didn't make it to New Caprica. Oh Well still waiting! I am surprised they added a new skill card to add 1 to morale when a basestar is destroyed. It seems the combination of more ways of basestars being added to the board and pegasus' fire power we would see a lot of destroyed basestars. I know Morale could get tight on New Caprica with the odd execution here and there but maybe morale won't get as low as i thought it might.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the reports but I have to say I was a little misled by the title ;(. I understand it says "Hoping to Find" but I assumed you did haha.

Still, good to see the game is playing well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... Adama was the Sympathizer...were you were playing with the Sympathetic Cylon rules or the original Sympathizer rules? The way you described it made me think you guys used the original rules. The expansion replaces those rules with the new Sympathetic Cylon with an agenda. So I'm not sure you guys played it right, because I'm not convinced you're supposed to play with those original rules when including the expansion.

EDIT: I've just checked the rules, it's optional so forget what I said above. But it is clear you used the normal rules and not the sympathetic Cylon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Monroe
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cactusgod wrote:
I enjoy the reports but I have to say I was a little misled by the title ;(. I understand it says "Hoping to Find" but I assumed you did haha.

Well, we were hoping to find it. Alas, we didn't. Sorry if the title was misleading...it was my sad attempt at humor.

colmenarez wrote:
Hmm... Adama was the Sympathizer...were you were playing with the Sympathetic Cylon rules or the original Sympathizer rules? The way you described it made me think you guys used the original rules. The expansion replaces those rules with the new Sympathetic Cylon with an agenda. So I'm not sure you guys played it right, because I'm not convinced you're supposed to play with those original rules when including the expansion.

We decided against including the Sympathetic Cylon variant because we haven't used the Cylon leaders yet and we weren't too sure about the pros/cons/strategy of Infiltration. We decided that we'd try to introduce a new mechanic an evening. Maybe tonight we'll give the Cylon Leaders a try (and make it to New Caprica as well!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.