flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
JP 6 – Dale 4

Time for the new Adlung release, Canal Grande. John was eager to try this one because he’s heard a lot of good things about this, and how similar it is to San Marco. Strangely, John hasn’t played San Marco yet either. Anyways, Canal Grande is advertised as a two-player version of San Marco.

Our game got off to a slow start as we drew all of the 2 and 3 limit cards to distribute and quickly ended the round (I think actually on the 3rd split!). At the end of the first round, we had only had one vote (I won San Polo) – and John couldn’t even fight it as he had no matching San Polo cards to start his defense. The second round was more of the same, we continued to add district cards and gondolas to our hand, but not many doges. The high limit cards continued, and we were quickly out of the 2nd round with only one more vote – a costly one for John as he spent 6 district cards and two gondolas for Cannaregio while I only spent 1 Cannaregio and a gondola in defense. Having forced John over the limit in both of the first two rounds, I now had a sizable district card advantage. The doges started to come out, and I surged ahead in total number of districts won (but not many distinct districts!). I had acquired three San Polos and three San Marcos, but could never get the fourth in either to win. While I was doing this, John stealthily kept winning different regions. It got to the point where he needed a San Polo to have one of all 6 districts, and I needed it to make a 4 of a kind. After a fortuitous Traitor draw where he took my only San Polo card, he then got a Doge and took the win and I was helpless to defend against it. A pretty nice and tight game – taking about 20 minutes for us – that has most of the flavor of San Marco without the board and bits. I’d like to try it again, but I’m encouraged by this first play. One down side is that the cards are miserable. There are indexes only in the upper corners of the region cards which forces you to have all of these cards right side up – then the action cards have indexes only in the bottom corners which makes it impossible to neatly stack the cards when splitting them up because some need the tops free to see the symbols and others need the bottoms free to see the symbols. Unbelievably horrible graphic design marring an otherwise great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.