United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiosity, the cards seem
to indicate (in red) that these are the
big cities for Ticket to Ride 1910:

Los Angeles, Seattle, Dallas AND Houston, Chicago, Miami, New York.

Should Dallas be changed to something like Denver?
Does it really matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Big Cities is a game played using the cards marked "Big Cities". At least one of those indicated cities appear on every one of the Big Cities tickets. They are marked so that players know that they will encounter heavy (or at least heavier) opposition when trying to connect to those cities.

So, I guess it depends what you are trying to ask.

If you mean: Should we point out to players the difficulty of connecting to Denver in a Big Cities game? No, we shouldn't, because that would just be misleading the players.

If you mean: Should we consider every reference to Dallas to be a reference to Denver instead? No, because that would royally screw up the balance of the tickets, with tickets having value that is no longer related to their length in any way.

If you mean: Should we make up another set of tickets to play with composed of all the tickets that connect to at least one of Los Angeles, Seattle, Houston, Chicago, Miami, New York and Denver? Well, you can do that if you like, but it isn't the standard Big Cities game, which is defined (in part) by the use of those tickets marked "Big Cities".

If you find it dissatisfying playing with that particular mix of tickets, go ahead and make up whatever new variant you like. However, the fact that Dallas and Houston are close together does not necessarily indicate an error in design or a flaw in gameplay. Big Cities is what it is, and whatever other variants might be out there are what they are, and there's really no "should" to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks,
haven't played Big Cities yet;
and was just wondering if it was a misprint
to have two major cities so close together.

Interested to see how it plays;
generally, I prefer to play the "accepted" rules
(rather than odd variants).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really wanted to use Denver instead of Dallas, you wouldn't have to make new tickets. Just take out all the tickets that connect to Dallas and some small city and put in all the tickets that connect to Denver. Easy as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Aarontu wrote:
If you really wanted to use Denver instead of Dallas, you wouldn't have to make new tickets. Just take out all the tickets that connect to Dallas and some small city and put in all the tickets that connect to Denver. Easy as that.

No, you wouldn't have to make up new tickets, but you would make up a new set of tickets (by finding the tickets that connect to those seven cities and putting them into a set). That's why I wrote about making up another set of tickets, not a set of new tickets.

Edit: I got my degree in mathematics. When I talk of sets, I tend towards precision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
and was just wondering if it was a misprint
to have two major cities so close together.

The point of the Big Cities variant is not to have cities that are spread out so much as it is to have the game's tension/blocking be more concentrated around some cities. That Dallas and Houston are both big cities only adds to the importance of the Dallas-Houston segment. Having Denver or something else in there would not lead to the same dynamics..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.