Subject: How to manage seeking cover properly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jalmari Raippalinna
Finland
Kirkkonummi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that because visual-verbal communication doesn't work from cover to outside and vice-versa (except cease fire and rally to remove pinned) and because searching for cover forces seeking unit to take exposed marker and enter the cover, I find hard to find uses for searching cover in any other case than forward scouts that have just entered the card and using general initiative to find cover while already exposed.

My question is:
- Because you cannot order platoon to move into cover unless moving from another card, how do you manage the platoon command after some units have entered the cover and some are not?
- Also is it beneficial to search for cover under fire in any other case than in village, because if you find cover, you are getting the exposed marker on you?

Should I designate pyrotechnic for "move to cover" instead of "seek cover" as Seek cover will cause every unit to search individual cover and not use existing cover markers?

Also should I have another pyrotechnic for "exit cover in case I want to move my platoon after some units are in cover and some are not?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
jalava wrote:
I see that because visual-verbal communication doesn't work from cover to outside and vice-versa (except cease fire and rally to remove pinned) and because searching for cover forces seeking unit to take exposed marker and enter the cover, I find hard to find uses for searching cover in any other case than forward scouts that have just entered the card and using general initiative to find cover while already exposed.

My question is:
- Because you cannot order platoon to move into cover unless moving from another card, how do you manage the platoon command after some units have entered the cover and some are not?
- Also is it beneficial to search for cover under fire in any other case than in village, because if you find cover, you are getting the exposed marker on you?

Should I designate pyrotechnic for "move to cover" instead of "seek cover" as Seek cover will cause every unit to search individual cover and not use existing cover markers?

Also should I have another pyrotechnic for "exit cover in case I want to move my platoon after some units are in cover and some are not?.

Hi Jalmari,

What I will do is send the scout team or squad in, find cover with them with general initiative, then platoon move the rest of the unit in on the following turn, with the base of fire units (usually the LMG - if any - and a bazooka + a squad) moving into the cover which is already found.

If you want your PLT HQ and remaining squads to "bound" past the base of fire units, don't get them into cover unless you think you are in danger of taking fire. If you do think you are in danger, have the best experienced unit seek cover, then use your PLT HQ to order the other units into that cover.

So, to re-cap:

What you have is a team or squad on the "destination card", usually in cover that they found during the previous turn's general initiative.

Back one card you have the rest of the platoon.

On the PLT HQ activation impulse of the turn after your scouts go in, you "Move a Platoon to an Adjacent Card" (2 orders). Since each unit moves individually (including the PLT HQ) you can move some of them into the cover that your scouting unit found already, and the rest onto the card proper, depending on how much you're willing to "overstack" your cover. (In general, it's "OK" to overstack cover unless you're in danger from indirect fire spotters, or G! type attacks).

If you need a second (or third) cover marker, have the PLT HQ order the best experienced unit to Attempt to Seek Cover (1 order). If they find some, order Move to Cover for the remaining units (usually only the PLT HQ or another squad).

On following turns, you can leave a LMG as a base of fire with a squad in reserve and move the two squads you have with your PLT HQ (since they're in the same cover), or, if you're clear to advance, you can order a Move a Platoon to an Adjacent Card.

It's true that if parts of the platoon are in cover and others are not, you have the problem of requiring your PLT HQ to move from cover to cover to get the units out of cover and moving. This is one of the trade-offs of finding cover.

Is it worth it to find cover? Most of the time a unit which has moved will already have the "exposed" marker on it, so it's better to get that +1 modifier cover. A +1 is a small difference, but as you can see if you flip through the action deck, it can often make a critical difference between a pin and a hit.

Generally I do try to find cover unless I am really behind schedule on advancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
Is it worth it to find cover? Most of the time a unit which has moved will already have the "exposed" marker on it, so it's better to get that +1 modifier cover. A +1 is a small difference, but as you can see if you flip through the action deck, it can often make a critical difference between a pin and a hit.

Generally I do try to find cover unless I am really behind schedule on advancing.

I too am of the school of thought that it is almost always worth searching for cover....even if you have to expose yourself to doing it.

Trying to keep up with the mission timetables usually mean your soldiers are almost constantly being exposed, so usually they have little to lose and everything to gain by searching for cover.
At other times, there are always some units pulling up the rear and they really appreciate the fact that somebody before them went to the trouble of searching for cover.

There will always be times that you just have to fore go the cover, but I find those times few and far between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.