Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Scott
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Always ask yourself, "What would Joan of Arc do?"
mbmbmbmbmb

22.2 gives the procedure for what happens if a minor power is at war with a major power and is activated by another major power, but I have question about exactly what happens in the case where the first power declines to go to war with the activating power.

Specifically, suppose the Papacy goes to war with Genoa and captures the Genoa key. Bastia is still Genoese-controlled (and empty of units) and the Papacy is still at war with Genoa. Now the Hapsburgs play Andrea Doria to activate Genoa as an ally. What exactly happens if the Papacy decides not to declare war on the Hapsburgs? Since the Pope controls the Genoa key, he is not obliged to abandon it, correct? (22.2 only says you must evacuate spaces controlled by the minor power, and Genoa is not.) And is the Papacy still at war with Genoa? It seems as if they can't be, because they're not at war with Genoa's major power ally. So I assume they're no longer at war, but I just wanted to check.

Thanks,
Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Institute THIS!
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. The Papacy simply declines the war and gets to keep Genoa, and the Hapsburg gets nothing but Bastia and the Andrea Doria naval leader (who reenters the board at the start of each turn if he's off it, so they do still get him even if you sent him to oblivion when you captured Genoa).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.