Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a simple stacking game in the same vein as Jenga. I dislike Jenga but I like Chairs.

There are 24 colored plastic chairs in 8 different shapes. The shapes are subtly but significantly different. The different weights and shapes make the various shapes useful for different placement situations. The rules of the game are pretty straightforward - stack chairs until something falls. You get points based on how many chairs fell on your turn. Then start over. Fewest points wins.

Why do I like chairs but not Jenga? Jenga is almost entirely about steady hands, and the tower of blocks pretty much always looks the same. Chairs introduces three factors that put it ahead of Jenga in my book:

* STRATEGY: The different shapes of the chairs make the stacking more interesting. You need to choose the right chair for the right location rather than simply going for a loose block.

* FUN: The different chair shapes also lead to stacks that look like impossible situations, which is simply a lot more fun. I only played a few games, but multiple times I'd place a chair and be confident that I wouldn't have to take another turn because the stack was already impossibly close to falling over, but due to the various weights and shapes of the chairs the other players were able to keep going, producing stacks of chairs that looked like gravitational anomalies.

* KID FRIENDLY: The chairs stack very easily at the lower levels, so the game is appropriate for children as young as 5. And the chairs are large enough to work as toys even for toddlers.

Stacking games still aren't my favorite genre, but Chairs earns an 8 from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.