Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came across a funny situation during a solo play. I wanted to perform hidden movement with a few units that needed to move quickly towards the Germans (General Petrov scenario). I thus activated a first unit, but it got only 3 Action Points (Variable AP rule), so it could not perform a hidden movement (+3/+6 AP penalty, with the rules of Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943). I therefore wanted not to lose time and move another unit: is it allowed to mark the just activated unit as spent, and activate another unit (so as to try to move it) in the same turn?

The only rules I found seem to allow this (Storms of Steel rules):
2.2 Taking turns wrote:
Mark the activated unit as spent if you no longer wish to take unit actions with it
(no timing requirement) and
3.0 Unit (AP) Actions wrote:
At the beginning of his turn, a player may mark an active unit as spent in order to immediately activate and use a different unit
(marking a unit as spent can in particular be performed at the beginning of the turn, just before activating a new unit).

So, is there any restriction on when a unit can be marked as spent after its activation? and is there any restriction on when a unit can be activated? For instance, is it possible to activate and mark as spent many units in a turn, as long as only one action is performed during the turn (via AP Action, Opportunity Action, CAP Action or Card Action)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lebigot wrote:
I came across a funny situation during a solo play. I wanted to perform hidden movement with a few units that needed to move quickly towards the Germans (General Petrov scenario). I thus activated a first unit, but it got only 3 Action Points (Variable AP rule), so it could not perform a hidden movement (+3/+6 AP penalty, with the rules of Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943). I therefore wanted not to lose time and move another unit: is it allowed to mark the just activated unit as spent, and activate another unit (so as to try to move it) in the same turn?

The only rules I found seem to allow this (Storms of Steel rules):
2.2 Taking turns wrote:
Mark the activated unit as spent if you no longer wish to take unit actions with it
(no timing requirement) and
3.0 Unit (AP) Actions wrote:
At the beginning of his turn, a player may mark an active unit as spent in order to immediately activate and use a different unit
(marking a unit as spent can in particular be performed at the beginning of the turn, just before activating a new unit).

So, is there any restriction on when a unit can be marked as spent after its activation? and is there any restriction on when a unit can be activated? For instance, is it possible to activate and mark as spent many units in a turn, as long as only one action is performed during the turn (via AP Action, Opportunity Action, CAP Action or Card Action)?

Yes, this is allowable. You would rarely want to do this though - most of the time you'd want to find something to spend those APs on. I suppose a hidden unit could be an exception though.

A note about this specific situation - for moving a hidden unit, most of the time you're only going to be able to move it one hex, so you might be better off doing it as an opportunity action, and that way you know it will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, James!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Michel
Germany
Stuttgart
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi James,

reading Eric's question and your answer I admit that I don't get it.

If this is allowed what's the meaning of the quoted "At the beginning of his turn ..." rule? I read it to exactly disallow to mark a unit as spent except at the beginning of a turn. And after activating the hidden unit it's not the beginning any more, isn't it? Or how is beginning defined?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carpetemporem wrote:
Hi James,

reading Eric's question and your answer I admit that I don't get it.

If this is allowed what's the meaning of the quoted "At the beginning of his turn ..." rule? I read it to exactly disallow to mark a unit as spent except at the beginning of a turn. And after activating the hidden unit it's not the beginning any more, isn't it? Or how is beginning defined?

I would define the "beginning" of the turn to be anything you do before actually performing an action. Activating and/or marking a unit as spent does not count as an action.

If activating a unit forced you to perform an action with it, you could get stuck, especially if you use variable APs.

Eg.
I activate my Stunned rifle squad.
I roll for APs - I roll a 2.
I have no cards, and my unit cannot rally. There is really nothing I can spend those 2 APs on.

So what happens at this point? I suppose you could force the person to stall or pass, but really, the person has suffered enough by rolling a 2 with their unit. They still have not made an action, so it's really still the "beginning" of the turn, so they can mark it as spent and try again with another unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Michel
Germany
Stuttgart
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sure it's bad luck if you roll low for variable APs but isn't that the point of variable APs? Being hindered if you roll low and benefit if you roll high? And as you said you can still stall without being in danger of your opponent ending the round.

On the other side no problem if that's the consensus. Then the rulebook should be changed to something like: "As long as a player has not performed an action, stalled or passed in this turn, he may repeat marking an active unit as spent and activating a different unit (and - if played with variable APs - rolling for APs)."

There could also be a strict and a relaxed variant for the variable AP option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carpetemporem wrote:
Sure it's bad luck if you roll low for variable APs but isn't that the point of variable APs? Being hindered if you roll low and benefit if you roll high? And as you said you can still stall without being in danger of your opponent ending the round.

On the other side no problem if that's the consensus. Then the rulebook should be changed to something like: "As long as a player has not performed an action, stalled or passed in this turn, he may repeat marking an active unit as spent and activating a different unit (and - if played with variable APs - rolling for APs)."

There could also be a strict and a relaxed variant for the variable AP option.

I think it's just one of those things that so rarely happens in a game (I've seen it happen once) that it's probably better in a FAQ then spelled out in the rules. I'll mention it to Uwe next time there's a rulebook update though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.