Cathal O'Siochru
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Public Persona (or Ego Trip) Variant
How well do you know your friends and how well to they know you?

This variant is inspired by games like Scruples where the aim is to guess the answers that the other players are likely to give. In essence it’s a fun way to see how well you know your friends and how well they know you.

In this Wits and Wagers variant each player comes up with a question or questions about themselves each of which has a numerical answer. Examples might include...

How much money do I earn each month?
How many times have I seen the film Star Wars?
What do I weigh?
How many card games do I own?
How many hours do I spend on BGG each week?

...and so on.

You write your question and the correct answer down and keep them hidden from the other players. You can make the questions as easy or as hard as you like.

The "correct" answer you write down can just be your best guess. As long as the question is about yourself then whatever answer you believe to be true is the "correct" one. For example I don’t actually know how many times I’ve see Star Wars, I don’t keep track, but I would guess it was somewhere between 10 and 15 times. So, I can put down 12 as my correct answer and it’s correct enough for the purposes of the game. The only rule is that you shouldn’t knowingly lie or deliberately alter your answer to mislead the other players.

Each player comes up with as many answers as you need for the game, depending on how many players you have and how long you want the game to go on. These questions then become the questions for each round, with players taking it in turn to ask one of their own questions. Naturally the person asking the question doesn’t write a guess and they can’t bet on that round. Otherwise the rules work as normal regarding the guessing, betting and identifying the winning answer.

And that’s the game. Simple but a load of fun with the right group.

One final word of warning...

You need to be careful with games like this. They are great fun, as long as the people playing aren’t too sensitive about their public image. Sometimes people can get an unpleasant surprise when they see their reflection in other people’s eyes. For example, asking "How many people have I slept with?" might sound like a fun and provocative question to ask devil, but are you prepared for the guesses? What if everyone guesses very low, does that mean they think you’re a loser who can’t get a date? What if one person guesses very high, do they think you’re some kind of bimbo (or him-bo)?

As a rule I would suggest avoiding any personal questions. Think about each question you write down and make sure you’re not going to be bothered if your friends’ guesses are very wrong about you on this issue.

This is doubly true when playing with a group including your partner. I’ve seen people get an embarrassing and very public shock when the person they thought they knew gives an unexpected answer on some personal question. No one likes to see a game turn into a public squabble. If the group includes a loved one avoid questions where your correct answer is likely to come as a shock to them.surprise

Cheers,

Cathal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.