Subject: Is this kid appropriate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How kid appropriate is this game? Are the pictures too bloody or scary looking?

I have not played this or Last Night on Earth? Which game would be better for 10 year olds?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Remembering that none of them are either scary or gory to me, I'd say this is more kid-friendly than LNoE. Barring a fair bit of cleavage, there's little to worry about here, whereas LNoE does include the odd disembowelment and some severed limbs... gulp Of course, it's not exactly adults-only stuff, but a friend of mine with kids (6 & 10, I think) did agree.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bush
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Depends on the kid.

Zombies have a way higher "cool!" factor, IMHO. But LNoE is probably a little bit more graphic.

I think LNoE is a better game, and would probably be more fun for kids.

If they were both movies, LNoE would probably get a PG-13, while AToE would likely get a PG.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/535205

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AtoE is more Kid friendly Kidwise as far as the Pics are concerned.But
if they like to shamble & say BRAAAins ! well you gotta go with LNoE.

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Something Awry
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
badge
Grr. Arg.
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, the images in the galleries for both AToE and LNoE are very representative. You should browse through if you have any doubts.

In my house, Bela Lugosi's 1931 Dracula has been very popular with all my girls for a couple of years, the youngest just turned 6, the eldest will soon turn 12. AToE was our first Flying Frog game, due to theme and as the artwork is less bloody and scary looking than LNoE. That said, we've since gone ahead and picked up LNoE because, for all that, what they get out of it is the occasional "ewww" with LNoE, but the 6 yr old still loves having her zombies chase after people.

We give the nod to AToE because of the villain variety which we've enjoyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wooten
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the level of sexualization? AToE seems to sport a lot of cleavage, based on the image on the front of the box. Is this overdone/tasteless? Does it continue throughout the game in general?

What is the comparison with LNoE?

Darn spelling edits . . . I can't type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There's about as much cleavage in AToE as you'd see in a BBC period costume drama. AToE has less cleavage, but more ripped clothing. Neither have much of what I'd consider 'sexual content'.

Pity, in some cases...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider the cleavage quotient in AToE inappropriate. Considering the timeframe in which it was set, it is not overdone. I can't draw a comparison with LNoE as I don't own the main game yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that AToE is one of the most kid appropriate games that I know. Very little sexual content in AToE and in LNoE, although I think that the gore level can be high in LNoE.

Cheerio,
A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.