Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Among my interests outside board gaming are video games and geekdom in general and I find myself with the ability to go up to PAX in Seattle this year over Labor Day weekend or, in the same weekend, to go out of town to a board game gathering that I know would be a lot of fun.

So if anyone has been to PAX before, how's the BGG fix?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fritz
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty good, and getting better every year.

Last year they had the entire building across from the convention center devoted to tabletop games, with a full floor devoted to board games (other floors held RPGs and miniature gaming). I've had to work the show the past three years so didn't get out a whole lot, but still managed to get some board games in after expo hall hours. The board game floor seemed to stay pretty busy at that time.

Having said that, I've been to plenty of video game cons but no other board game or "general" game cons, so I can't give a good comparison to others.

I'd say go for it, especially if your interests include video games and general geekdom, as you said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also heard that PAX 2010 will have a Boston location, and I'm very interested in that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That's great to hear. I'll be going this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If PAX 2010 is in Boston, I will be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the gaming there. I spend most of my free time playing board games rather than video games. However, the exhibition hall is very video game oriented. Only fantasy flight and maybe flying frog had a big presence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer...

Last year, as people mentioned, there was a separate building across the street from the main convention center with floors almost complete devoted to tabletop and/or board-gaming (with some RPG gaming going on too at various locations). Much like one might find at BGG.con, there was a fairly decent game library from which you could check out games to play (although it was not nearly as complete as what you find at BGG.con, nor would I expect it to be).

If you didn't have people to play with, it wasn't generally difficult to just hang out around the game library room, and invariably someone would come up and ask if you wanted to play something. Likewise, if you want to play a given game, you can usually hang around there and find some group that would be willing to do so (although of course some rules explanation may be required).

There's also a number of tournaments that are run each year, although those change from year to year (I won the Puerto Rico tournament last year).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Sounds like a win-win, then. In addition to all my video game friends and Seattle-based friends, a chance to hit some board games with new folks will be a good time! I booked my pass over the weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tsang
United Kingdom
Claverton, Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pretty good board game time. One thing to note is that FFG won't be there this year, so the only board game vendor this year is probably Flying Frog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that it's the same weekend as DragonCon, so a lot of companies will likely be going there instead. I did hear that WOTC is doing a huge push for Magic at PAX however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well, DragonCon is a bit further afield for me than PAX, but I'm not really going to see the vendors and their latest games (I'll be going to both Essen and BGG.CON for that), but to do the whole experience: board games being played means that I'll have something to do when I don't care as much about the other stuff going on (or can't get into the popular sessions). And hopefully I can make a few new friends who enjoy both games and geekdom too!

When I lived on the East Coast I did DragonCon several times and it would be nice to get back sometime, but this year I'll try PAX.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike C.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
According to their website, there will be a PAX East held in Boston, MA in late March. I'm thinking of checking it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.