Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got out this older Chess variant. The catch here is that there is no board. You place the pieces on the table and then are constricted by a “board unity” rule ala Hive. Pieces for the most part move as they would in regular chess except that pawns are able to move one space in any of the orthogonal directions and they are allowed to capture in any direction diagonally. As neither of us had played before, our initial game had to be scrapped as we had created an almost unworkable setup where many pieces were frozen. We then tried again, and this time managed to get a workable setup. I was trapped after about 6 or 7 moves into pinning my king and a knight into a corner of the formation where neither could move. Bret quickly swooped in for a mate. In the second game, there was more action in the middle of the board. As we learned the relative strength of the pawn in this setup given its ability to move sideways as well, more interesting forks were created. We were down to three pieces each, and Bret mated me again once I managed to get my king pinned in a position where he was unable to move allowing Bret to encircle it for mate. Don’t think I could play this all the time, but a nice 10 minute diversion from regular chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.