Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Space Hulk (third edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Tactics for stealer player rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so there is the "dance"...etc..but I am thinking that would there ever be point in stealers turn to close in on marine but not come as close as they possibly could?

Hard to explain...

Lets say I have many stelers near opponent but none of them can get to him in this turn. So If i were to move one steler right close to the marine then his ap would run out and with sustained fire there could be 50%+ chance of that stealer dying!!

If I only come half the way or mayby little more then I can advance the rest of the stelers behind this first stealer (in small corridor outside the marines LOS!?) So those dudes cannot be shot!!?

Is there any reason to think about this or should I just try to get my first stealer to close combat and then if it dies...then the secound one as close as I can ...etc?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee perry
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Play with more cunning. Don't underestimate how scary a couple of genestealers are to the Marines. Especially for missions where they have time pressure or you have major reinforcements, set up obvious ambushes just beyond their reach and accumulate blips while they hunker down.

Keep your ambushes coming from multiple sides if you can so they're not easily covered.

Playing the "0" blip is also a finely tuned skill. If they're near an enemy and you're not using them, within a few turns he'll catch on. The awesome double bluff with this is take a live blip of one or two bugs, and behave as if it's a "0" until late in the game, actively keep it out of view until later in the game after he's written it off. Pass up a free kill with it even, and he'll completely dismiss it (act distraught) you might catch several with it at a later point and freak him out completely.

Avoid ending turns with your bugs in a hallway where they can get shot, you will die, they will burn through command points tearing you to shreads. Wait until you can engage them on your own terms, on your turn.

Get them to burn through ammo, especially the flamer by spacing out eyour forces so there's more for them to have to shoot at and burn AP on.

Just a few off the top of my head.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eepers wrote:
Play with more cunning. Don't underestimate how scary a couple of genestealers are to the Marines. Especially for missions where they have time pressure or you have major reinforcements, set up obvious ambushes just beyond their reach and accumulate blips while they hunker down.

Keep your ambushes coming from multiple sides if you can so they're not easily covered.

Playing the "0" blip is also a finely tuned skill. If they're near an enemy and you're not using them, within a few turns he'll catch on. The awesome double bluff with this is take a live blip of one or two bugs, and behave as if it's a "0" until late in the game, actively keep it out of view until later in the game after he's written it off. Pass up a free kill with it even, and he'll completely dismiss it (act distraught) you might catch several with it at a later point and freak him out completely.

Avoid ending turns with your bugs in a hallway where they can get shot, you will die, they will burn through command points tearing you to shreads. Wait until you can engage them on your own terms, on your turn.

Get them to burn through ammo, especially the flamer by spacing out eyour forces so there's more for them to have to shoot at and burn AP on.

Just a few off the top of my head.


I so enjoy bluffing in other games! (such as poker) WHY did GW remove the "0 blips" from the game?


I feel like something major was lost!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Low
United States
Mansfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vhirvela wrote:
WHY did GW remove the "0 blips" from the game?
I agree that the zero bluff was fun, but it was strange that it could walk around and open/close doors. It would have almost made more sense if all blips ignored doors (couldn't open or close, but could pass through regardless) unless they would be revealed by doing so.

Best,
-Greg
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee perry
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
NO! They didn't!? NO! I read the rules and started miniature prepping, but haven't played the new version yet... NO! no no no... zero blip was fantastic!

Bummed...

OK, house rules mod counter coming up.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you are going to get that work with new rules! Then do private message me if you get the mod done! I would greatly apreciate it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reko Ukko
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
talrich wrote:
I agree that the zero bluff was fun, but it was strange that it could walk around and open/close doors. It would have almost made more sense if all blips ignored doors (couldn't open or close, but could pass through regardless) unless they would be revealed by doing so.

I always thought that it's either a malfunction in the Space Marine's motion detector or just doors acting funny due to some short circuiting or damage to the hulk.

Still, 0 blip would've been nice.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lee perry
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Exactly, it represents shaky equipment on both the sides of the marines motion detectors and the ship itself, I love being unsure about it.

I assume the marines are comfortable with questionable maintenance considering they buy their stormbolters from JamTech Ltd.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree zero blips sound great (have never played the game in any of its editions). Be sure to post a file if you make a new set of blips
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought 0 blips were kind of pointless. You can do all the things you would do with a 0 blip with a 1 genestealer blip. It is exactly the same - you can still stall termies, or make them panic into doing stupid things - but you also get a bonus genestealer to put on the board. And if the termies pay the 1 genestealer blip too much attention, they are not focussing on the mission or the more dangerous blips on the board, which is pretty much the same result as you would get for tricking them with a 0 blip.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerard Heime
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
I think the zero blip is gone because in some cases, the GS player would start the game only having "0" blips (after all, you pick them at random). That'd buy the SM player some time before the GS player could get serious reinforcements.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geheime wrote:
I think the zero blip is gone because in some cases, the GS player would start the game only having "0" blips (after all, you pick them at random). That'd buy the SM player some time before the GS player could get serious reinforcements.


I don't think it really matters by the turn 3 if stealer player gets 0 0, 33, 22 or 11, 22, 11? or does it?

I mean there might be some big difference but I don't know?! How about if you just roll good and one stealer survices couple of overwatch shots etc....

It's a lot to do with luck anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian arkins
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talrich wrote:
vhirvela wrote:
WHY did GW remove the "0 blips" from the game?
I agree that the zero bluff was fun, but it was strange that it could walk around and open/close doors. It would have almost made more sense if all blips ignored doors (couldn't open or close, but could pass through regardless) unless they would be revealed by doing so.

Best,
-Greg

I never even thought about that aspect...but I do so love '0' blips.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Easy fix, made these house rules for the second play:

Use the 9 black blank counters found on the cardboard sprue (f.e.)

Mark 4 of them. Leave 5 of them blank.
After drawing a blip, and looking at it, the GS player may draw a double-or-nothing marker! A mark means the number on it will be doubled, a blank means the blip is now a '0' blip.

Try it out, it brings another level of bluffing into the game
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Väinö Hirvelä
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this is nice! and I was about to give them away!


Would you also rule that after all the "new" markers have been drawn out, they will not be re-shulffed!!? So this is 1 (x 9) times only! That would be so like icing in the cake!

Also does the black marker "ride" tha initial genestealer marker? Or how do you difrentiate on the gambles?!


(Btw am I right that number 2 blips are best suited for these gambles?! taking also into acount the fact that 6blips are very hard to reveal optimally!? )


I would so give you geekgold if I had! I just love this variant! Please post it into the variant section also!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I place the tokens on top of the blips, so the marine can pull his hair a little (also you need to do this for fairness)

No redraw is the way we play it now yes. I usually use them on 1's or 2's in the start, and if the odds favor me towards the end i gamble and place them on 3's
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick p
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Another way to do it is to count the 2 blips as zeros. Since there are only four of them, it won't hamstring the stealers too bad(in most games they have a pretty good advantage). In missions where they have a disadvantage(cleanse and burn comes to mind) already, you could count them as 2s instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls